Tree problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Very large Birch (I think) tree in the garden. At the first 'junction', where the first large branches come out at about 3m off the ground, there is a fairly large hole (pictured below). I went up on a ladder to take a look because I could see bark hanging off and it looks like there has been a bird nesting in it at some point.

At the moment the tree seems structurally sound, given that its managed through some fairly strong winds in recent months, but I am just wondering if a hole like this will gradually get worse, or if it is indicative of an issue with the tree. My concern is if that hole continues to get bigger it might weaken the mass that is above it.

Anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

Comments much appreciated.

2019-05-06 10.25.13.jpg

2019-05-05 17.43.58.jpg
2019-05-05 17.43.09.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-05-06 10.25.13.jpg
    2019-05-06 10.25.13.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2019-05-05 17.44.00.jpg
    2019-05-05 17.44.00.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Kaymo, good evening.

Looks like you may have a problem, in that if the center of the tree has deteriorated then there is a high probability that it will come down in a decent storm? That is a pretty large lump of timber, but it has a serious void in its center?

Suggest you ask for advice from a "Tree Surgeon" and at the same time find out from the local authority is the tree is in some way "Protected" meaning is there a Local Authority preservation / protection order that is in place for the tree?

Ken.

I would imagine it has probably been cut at that point before? Birch rots very easily.

Can't tell how big the hole is?

Sadly the only option to make it safe long term would be to fell it

Thanks guys. From where I was perched on the ladder it was difficult to get a good picture or measure but I would say the hole was almost 30cm wide at its widest point. I agree that it looks like a previous cut that has rotted, maybe with the cut facing up instead of down.

I very fond of the tree, so would rather not take it down, but I obviously don't want to put anyone at risk either. I am in a conservation area, so I would need to get permission to take it down, which obviously wouldn't be a problem if it was deemed unsafe.

A concern I have is how I get a qualified, independent opinion? Anyone being asked for their professional opinion on a potential safety issue is likely to veer on the side of caution, but tree surgeons also fell trees as a major part of their business so there is an additional conflict there.

Sponsored Links
A neighbour had a beech tree that was suspect due to fungi at the base of the trunk. She used an arboist that the local council used. They (in her words) X-rayed the tree ( I think it was a form of ultra-sound ) and found most of the trunk was hollow. The tree protection was lifted and the tree lopped down to just the trunk.

Thanks Bernard. I will try the council.

I don't think this is urgent, there are no signs of stress or fracture, but I suspect it fills up with water when it rains so is probably only going to get deeper.

I would ask around locally, and look around for people who've had tree work done - see who they'd recommend/not recommend.

Birch will happily survive having the height radically reduced, in my experience, so if it isn't going to look too odd, you could consider reducing the height to below the dodgy junction. It's a winter job.

Thanks Stephen. The dodgy junction is more or less where the first branches start so I am not sure if it would survive that, and if it did it probably would look odd, but I would give it a try if the arborist thought it worthwhile. Have contacted the council first and I am waiting for a response before I proceed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back