1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Trespass issue with neighbour's extension

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Dieselbeef, 22 Mar 2021.

1. Dieselbeef

Dieselbeef

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Not my project, but next door (who we get on really well with) have build a single storey extension. We're fine with this, except I have concerns whether what they've done will cause issues when we come to sell our house because their 'eaves' overhang our airspace and as you'll see from the pics, both eaves and flashing are in our space (the new wall is right up to/on the party wall line).

I'm worried this will cause challenges from a potential purchaser of our property in that it might impact their ability to build their own extensions.

We don't intend to build ourselves, just worried about longer term impact.

Any thoughts/advice about how we can put our mind at rest greatly appreciated.

Cheers 20210315_103141.jpg 20210315_103130.jpg 20210315_103141.jpg 20210315_103130.jpg 20210315_103119.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. jj4091

jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd be more concerned about how they will maintain/complete/decorate without coming on to your property or future purchasers.

4. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They are encroaching, but that could be a positive as they have provided a free wall to attach your own extension to later.

Blup

5. jeds

jeds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In the event of you, or any future owner, wanting to build your own extension, you would be entitled to remove that overhang. So not really an issue.

6. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The overhang is trespassing on your property so you would have to disclose it on any sale.

Blup

7. Bullet-Proof_Biscuit

Bullet-Proof_Biscuit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They've created a new shared party wall which your property can build onto at least

8. thevoiceofreason

thevoiceofreason

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For purely aesthetical reasons if nothing else why didn't he finish the roof flush with where his grey rendered wall finished?

9. Sponsored Links
  10. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd more concerned with the devaluation caused by the look of the blockwork. Is it going to be painted or renderderd? How are they going to do that? Of course render will come onto your property.

11. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe the rules differ to here in Jersey, but you would need to agree to the encroachment, possibly asking a fee for the privilege (Or not if you get on!), and the neighbour would need to pay for your and their property deeds to be adjusted to include reference to the permitted overhang, and maybe an allowance for access for repairs and maintenance.

12. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it gets rendered, it will also further trespass?

13. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It might or it might not, how do you know exactly where the boundary is to within a few mm?
    A line on your house may not be the exact boundary (or it may).

Maybe you ought to just get on with them and ask when they are going to want to come round and render the wall?

Coz it looks crap!

• Like Like x 1
  14. David2749

David2749

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    I had a similar issue ago my parents house, the neighbour built an extension which was slightly different to the plans, and was initially passed by the building inspector, but when we complained they were forced to take the building down, as it overhang by 30cm and they refused to render the wall.

15. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nonsense.