TRIANCO CENTRAJET 13/17 OIL BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an old boiler that has developed two problems:

1. It has started making a screaming sound when first turns on, but it does stop after a short while. This has happened for a while now.

2. The problem I really need to sort though is it won't turn on automatically anymore using the timer or the constant switch. When you turn it on the red lights come on, but it won't start until you press the round button (on the boiler cover) which is lit by a red light; the light goes off when boiler fires up.

Thansk for any help!

Sponsored Links
Screaming is probaly the burner motor. Lockout can be many things. Get in an experienced engineer, but many parts are now obsolete.

I havn't see one of those for years!! it must be overdue for replacement the screaming will be the inter burner motor bearings shot , but morning lockout could be due to many causes it could be due to the motor deterioration but as you have already been advised get an experienced oil engineer in (not a newbie- they won't know what they are looking at!) ;)

Sponsored Links
I havn't see one of those for years!! it must be overdue for replacement the screaming will be the inter burner motor bearings shot , but morning lockout could be due to many causes it could be due to the motor deterioration but as you have already been advised get an experienced oil engineer in (not a newbie- they won't know what they are looking at!) ;)

Hi - Yes, we have only just moved in, but I believe it is about 35yrs old! When it "locksout" I can turn it on by pressing the red lit button and it fires up perfectly - is it safe to do this or shoud it stay off as there is obviously a cause for it not to fire up?

It also doesn't automatically shut off anymore - in fact I don't know how to turn it off except by pressing the button again, or by turning the dial to low, but I think it is still on but just on standby. Sorry not very technical!

You really need to get it looked at. With these wallhung boilers, oneof the signs of a failing oil pump is lockout on startup, as the oil falls back and the pump takes time to respond. Turning the boiler to low setting just alters the boiler thermostat to a lower temperature,so if needs be, run it there. If a new thermostate is required, the original is obolete, but another can be adapted, but you may have to reposition the limit stat phial.

Hi - Thanks for advice. I have contacted a plumber today and kept in turned off at mains - I was trying to get by for a bit longer before having to replace but its probably not likely.

Any idea on what a new boiler SHOULD cost as I have had several differing quotes? I only run one bath (well will do when I get one!) and I live in a three bed, two recept room, old and very cold house!

Thanks again

A lot depends on the rest of the system, especially as it is 35 years old. It is possible to get another wall hung boiler that fits more or less in the space you have, but pipework may need modifying to bring up to current regulations. All you can do is get several quotes, and find out what you are being quoted for.

Thanks again. The noise has stopped completely now and the lock light doesn't come on anymore. It fires up perfectly using the the dial on the actual boiler, but the timer does not work at all. It will not switch on or off even with the constant. As the boiler is working better than ever now I am going to try and replace the timer and see how it goes. I have posted a new forum re the timer. Thanks again for your advice and time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back