Trianco TRO 15/19

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
Thanks for reading this - As the title suggests, I have a Trianco TRO 15/19 oil fired boiler, which has currently stopped working. In the days leading up to the breakdown, I noted it was a bit smelly, like parafin and I put that down to the fact I had cracked a joint on the flue when I was cleaning out the firebox, which I was going to get around to... It worked for a couple of weeks after this, but now, when I turn it on, it goes through the cycle but will not ignite, then goes to lockout. I cannot see or hear a spark and I have removed the burner - the box and blast tube are damp with oil and disconnected the solenoid. Turning it on, there is no spark. I think I need to replace the control box. Was the smell due to a partial combustion, because of an imminent failure of the box / ignition ? Anyone have any different ideas ? Thanks in anticipation.
Barleycott.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest a photocell fault...the burner is obviously switching the oil supply on, but it isn't igniting. That could be because the control box thinks that the burner is already lit. John :)

Thank you Burnerman for your speedy reply.
What is the ignition sequence for an oil burner of this type ?
Barleycott.

sounds more like transformer fault.
If you knew what you were doing you could short the transformer supply with the control box removed ;) but that would be dangerous :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thank you Guys,
Clearly I have underestimated the complexities of the ignition sequence !
I thought I would have had a warm house by tomorrow night - but no ! Thank you so far.

The burner is a Bentone Inter B9.

I will try and get hold of a PE cell today, in the first instance.
Regards
Barleycott

I have fitted a new photocell no to avail. The control box appears to be going through the sequence, up untill it should spark. It does not, but 'sounds' as if something is trying to happen, then locks out.
As Cider suggested, I have connected the transformer to 240v and it does not spark. Could this be the issue ? I'm sure we are going the right direction ! have arranged to collect a new one tomorrow. Again, a big thank you so far
Regards
Barleycott.

Are you sure it doesn't have a flue proving switch, or have you repaired it now.

If you've put 240 into transformer and nothing happened its the problem.
Rarely do photo cells fail.

I hope to fit the new one tomorrow - it's colder in the house, than outside - I'm thinking of leaving the windows open !!

DoItAll - What is a flue proving switch ? Is that similar to the 'long weight' or 'air-hooks' ?

Thanks again

air proving switches ? its something you find on gas fan flue boilers, not oil ones.

I have fitted the new transformer and hey-presto - it's sparking ! BUT it's still not working. It goes through the sequence and lights up but the flame is very intermitent - appears to be spurting and after a short period the boiler locks out.
Remember I said at the outset how smelly it had become - well it's just as bad, if not worse.

My first thought is that it is the nozzle. I have spent the last two days trying to get one locally, to no avail !

I have checked the spark and it appears fine. Disconnecting the solenoid, there is a strong spark until lockout.

It is a conventional flue which I have swept clear and I am happy the internal flueways are clear. I think the smell is due to incomplete combustion because of a duff nozzle - does this make sense ? I'm getting pretty tired of this now - I expect you are to !
Regards
Barleycott

I would guess a fuel pump issue either pump has failed or fuel supply prob. the continual cyciling would proberbly have caused the transformer to fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back