Tricky loft header tank insulation job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The open vented header tanks in my loft are arranged one on top of the other. The main feed to the HWC is mounted on the joists, and the central heating header is mounted via a combination of a horizontal roof strut and a batten secured to the brick chimney wall, so that there is about 2 feet clear space between the top of the main and the bottom of the ch header.

I don’t like this arrangement and would prefer the ch header mounted on the floor next to the main tank but I am stuck with it for now.

There is no loft floor insulation directly underneath the main tank, as common practice, but this is no benefit to the ch header.

Is there a recommended way of enclosing this arrangement so that the rising heat utilised to keep the main tank warm can also be used to warm the ch header?

Sponsored Links
Any warm air in loft will help both tanks in the same way , they should be wrapped with insulation to sides and top .

I may not have explained properly, but I was trying to explain why the warm air can't help the top tank the same way as it helps the main tank, as the main tank is brought into the insulated space of the house, but the top one isn't, as it is 2 feet above the insulation layer.

Sponsored Links
I may not have explained properly, but I was trying to explain why the warm air can't help the top tank the same way as it helps the main tank, as the main tank is brought into the insulated space of the house, but the top one isn't, as it is 2 feet above the insulation layer.
Yes I understood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back