Tricky waste problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a long term reader, first time poster.

I'm trying to help a friend fit a washing machine in his flat utility room and I'm wondering what the best way to fit the waste is.

The current situation is a short stub of 1-1/2 in solvent weld, an elbow and immediately a reducer to a 22 mm hot water tank overflow. I've attached a couple of photos.

What I'd like to is extend the 1-1/2 in, put in a tee for the washing machine waste and leave some extra space for in future.

Is there any way of attaching on top of the elbow? Say, a flexible coupling or a way of butting a straight connector onto the elbow? Otherwise, it's very close to the wall into a shared space.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG-20160724-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20160724-WA0002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 2016-07-15 06.58.02.jpg
    2016-07-15 06.58.02.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Cut the elbow off leaving as much inch and a half pipe as you can, did the wall out to expose a bit more pipe, clean the pipe stub and solvent weld a tee which will give two inlets, one for the washing machine upstand and the other with a reducer to connect the overflow.

That's all I could think of too. I was hoping there might be a trick or special part to save cutting into the wall.

I'm intrigued, this 22mm overflow is from some form of hot water tank? Are you sure?

I take it whatever it is is flowing into the 40mm? From the first picture it looks like the 40mm is flowing down into the 22mm which I hope is just the camera angle.

Sponsored Links
As a curiosity, this is the 22mm further along, where it comes from the tank into a tun dish.2016-07-15 06.57.53.jpg

Ahah, that explains it.

I'm still wondering though if that 40mm elbow and pipe are running uphill? If it is that overflow wont overflow properly and it will need corrected before it's used as a WM outlet.

Before reconnecting the overflow I can check it flows properly from the tun dish, otherwise I'll increase the fall.

Thanks for all of your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back