Trimming skirting whilst in situ

What method are you using to level the floor that requires skirting undercut?

Sponsored Links
What method are you using to level the floor that requires skirting undercut?
Once the tile is lifted then we will be using a self leveling latex which we anticipate will add approx 5-10mm and as the tile is currently tight to the skirting then there will be no room to insert it back under the skirting.

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are already under the skirting and you are lifting them I would take the skirtings off rather than increase the risk of breaking the tiles.
If you try to cut along the bottom edge of the skirting how will you ensure a straight cut, especially if they are not level themselves? You can't use the floor level as your guide.
The skirtings may be just stuck to the plaster surface and the best way to remove these is to drive a wide bolster chisel down the back, working along the length in short steps.
The plaster can be repaired at much less cost than using/hiring fancy tools you have never used before and possibly creating more damage because of inexperience.

I would take the skirtings off rather than increase the risk of breaking the tiles.
No chance of breaking any tiles cause they will all be lifted before any work to remove the skirting begins

If you try to cut along the bottom edge of the skirting how will you ensure a straight cut You can't use the floor level as your guide.
Yes we can once the floor has been levelled.

The skirtings may be just stuck to the plaster surface
Nope, from last experience they are held on by wooden pegs that are fixed back into the brick work so by removing the skirting it damages as far back as the brick.

The only benefit to removing the skirting would be to rip the bottom 10mm of and then try and reattach it back using the original fixings but the chances of that is very slim as we have removed original skirting in other rooms and the learned lessons in the past.

... because of inexperience...
Well at least intermediate experience but that's what this is all about, finding a better way to do something.

Once the tile is lifted then we will be using a self leveling latex which we anticipate will add approx 5-10mm
Then I'd suggest that you add a layer of 4 or 6mm ply screwed on 150mm centres before you add the SLC.

FYI I’ve reported that listing to eBay.
Unfortunately they don’t have a box in which to provide a description of the danger, so they will probably not appreciate the issue.

Report it to your local trading standards. They will contact eBay and tell them to pull the listing.

___________ Edit_________

I see it is still available for sale.

I have sent an email to Hillingdon trading standards, the borough that the seller lives in.

Last edited:
Anything running at 10,000 to 12,000 rpm needs to be treated with respect - and is not something you want to stand behind. Wonder if they'll ever ban lock-on switches on angle grinders and make is all go to paddle switches?
I've never understood why it was permitted to sell angle grinders with lock-on switches.

This was the story about the fatal consequences of using a saw blade in a grinder, that I recalled:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-died-improvised-power-tool-sliced-neck.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back