TRIMMING TREES WITH A PRESERVATION ORDER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I want to get 2 trees trimmed which are in my back garden and have a preservation order.

However, I need to apply to the local council in order to do that. I invited a tree surgeon to have a look at the trees a few days ago, who offered to fill in the application form and says that would cost £150. He went on to say that it is vital to get the wording correct on the application, or else it would be rejected.

Has anyone any experience of this? Shall I complete the application myself and see what happens, or do you think it would be worthwhile spending the £150 and asking the tree surgeon to complete the application?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Do you know what to write?

Yes. Fill it in.

No. Get someone who does to fill it in.

The legislation is the same everywhere but there is a level of local interpretation, legislation often uses words like 'reasonable'.

I live where there is a very large TPO area because of lots of trees planted in the late 19th century. A TPO only applies to trees in existence when it granted, so you might want to double-check that it applies.

Also check on what specie it is. I was told by the council that the single trunked bay that is taller than my house, is not a tree within the meaning of the Act, and so no permission is needed.

When I have had to cut off the ends of branches dangling down over the lawn (crown lifting), I filled out the form online and included photos and a sketch map and that was sufficient. Without thinking about it I specified lengths (e.g. how much I wanted to remove) in imperial and they just converted this to metric.

Whether your council will be so reasonable I cannot say. But if they turn you down then ask why and resubmit the form.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back