Triplexer query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping out someone in a new build but with a basterd of a landlord, any help here would be much appreciated!

We're trying to figure out how to get TV from what looks to be a multiswitch set up, faceplates have been installed to all the flats using that have a standard terrestial aerial type connection. (Not with the screw type F connector.)

We were informed by the landlord to contact Spectrum (aka https://lovedigitaltv.co.uk/), but they also been just as useless as landlord.

Spectrum want to charge a hefty fee to come out and perform something called a 'faceplate install', which even to me does't sound very difficult. Does anyone know what this involves?

I already have a freesat digital box, but the existing faceplate (aerial type connection) is not providing any feed. It is also not providing any terrestial reception. I've already taken the faceplate off to check it's wired in and it is.

Is a triplexer normally required in these situations to get a useful feed out of the cabling?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to access the multi media amp and see whats connected there, it may well be a sky / virgin system only distribution point.

Does the building have an obvious TV aerial, which would suggest that the amp is there to push UHF / TV out to the flats?

There's a good source of information on http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/index.html

If the faceplate does not have any twist on 'f sockets' then you can assume it is not geared up for sky and freesat, just terrestrial (digital and analouge), although, depending on where you are you may not yet be able to recieve digital and just an analouge signal. Some remote areas still only have the analouge 1234 relayed to them.

Out of interest, how many cables are connected to the faceplate? What are the connections marked as? What type are they, and how many? (male/female UHF).

Can you find the main booster/distribution amp anywhere inthe building? Can you see the TV aerial/dish?

Spectrum want to charge a hefty fee to come out and perform something called a 'faceplate install', which even to me does't sound very difficult. Does anyone know what this involves?

Probably plugging in the other end of your cable to their distribution amp!

Having looked at their site, I suspect they hook you up and change the faceplate to suit whatever services you take off them.

( i.e F terminals if you have Sky or Freesat standard aerial for free view or both)

Sponsored Links
Looking at their site, it does appear that is the case.

They have likely done the infrastructure, and simply need to enable your outlet, or possibly change it accordingly. Seems a bit win-win for them if they have already installed. You would have thought they would simply provide all services from the off, as most new built flats do these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back