Triton Electric Shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should be here or in Plumbing but on grounds its an electric appliance, I'll try here first!

Triton Jade 2 shower about 4 years old and has worked perfectly until now.
Actually still works perfectly - for 4-5 mins only, then Low Pressure Light comes on and flow stops!
Have checked the following:
Inlet filter cleaned but soft water area and was fine anyway;
Solenoid coil read 3.75 Ω on multimeter;
Outlet TCO and heater can TCO both had continuity;
Heater elements had continuity and 1 pair read 12.4 Ω and other was 15.6 Ω .

Hope someone can help as I've run out of ideas and need to get it back working correctly asap.

Sponsored Links
It might be the shower head is getting clogged up with limescale and this is reducing the flow and also increasing the pressure in the outlet from the shower.

If the low pressure sensor is a differential sensor between input and output then increased pressure in the outlet will reduce the differential pressure and this would be seen as a low pressure fault.

Thanks - didn't take off shower head as flow seemed normal, filter was clear and there's no limescale buildup in this soft water area in kettles etc. But it's worth checking anyway.
Still inclined to think something else is problem though.

Fault on the outlet side of the shower won't cause an inlet fault to give low pressure.

Solenoid coil fault.
How long after the flow stopped did you check for resistance ?
Also check for 230v at the solenoid when the flow stops.

If 230v not present then the on/off switch has failed.
If 230v present the coils faulty.

Does the shower regain flow if you leave it on ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, seco services, I appreciate your help.

I checked the solenoid and got 3.75 a long time after the shower had stopped. (I'm not at the property and went there specifically yesterday to 'try' to fix/find the problem).
Didn't check voltage at solenoid although confirmed 240V at terminal block supply.
Do you mean the actual shower on/off button on front panel? If so, it certainly seems to work properly.

Didn't leave shower on so can't say if flow comes back. I can get this checked today by resident.
But problem recurred when I tried again after about 2 hours. Then about 20mins later, I set dial to 'COLD' and max flow (number 1 on dial), and shower switched off with Low Pressure light on after only about 1.5 mins. Thought maybe something to do with the residual heat from earlier 5 mins of normal working?

Personally I`d just take it off the Wall and put a in new one , You can pick this Model up for about £70 !!

Lucky

I checked the solenoid and got 3.75 a long time after the shower had stopped.
Run the shower with cover off and check for 230v at the solenoid coil soon as it fails.
If 230v is present isolate the mains power then check for resistance.
Must be checked straight away.
Didn't check voltage at solenoid although confirmed 240V at terminal block supply.
ok

Do you mean the actual shower on/off button on front panel? If so, it certainly seems to work properly.
ok

Didn't leave shower on so can't say if flow comes back. I can get this checked today by resident.
Could be 5 mins could be 30mins.

But problem recurred when I tried again after about 2 hours. Then about 20mins later, I set dial to 'COLD' and max flow (number 1 on dial), and shower switched off with Low Pressure light on after only about 1.5 mins. Thought maybe something to do with the residual heat from earlier 5 mins of normal working?

Solenoid coil fault.
In the end the coil will fail altogether if left in this condition.

Again, many thanks.
I'd rather replace a part ( about £12.50) than the shower although I realise that could become an option.

So getting the required resistance in the solenoid coil is not the absolute proof of its working ability? Didn't know that!

I won't be able to check the voltage at solenoid for a day or 2 as I'm 150 miles from property just now. (Was there yesterday).
I'll get the shower switched on and see if flow comes back - I'll post again later as soon as I get the result phoned through.

But I take it you seem pretty sure the solenoid coil (not stabiliser valve and coil?) is faulty based on my comment about cold water flow etc, despite the 3.75 Ω reading?
(I wish I'd run it before taking cover off and getting the readings. I just took the resident's word about fault and removed cover!)
Assuming you confirm the above, I'll take a new solenoid with me when I go there soon.

Personally I`d just take it off the Wall and put a in new one , You can pick this Model up for about £70 !!

Lucky

What for a £15 part :rolleyes:
Customers love your sort.

£15 + Call-out say £35 ? do the sums = £50 ???

Two Year Guarantee on a new Shower , I`d know which I`d prefer , In my past experience once you start replacing one Component on a Low-cost Shower ..... you are going down the wrong Road ... Now if it was a High end Unit I`d consider replacement Parts !

Lucky

PS - My Customers do like my advice and generally take it - Cheers

Just been told that the shower flow comes back on a few mins after low pressure light comes on and shuts down! Then it cycles this on/off every 3 mins or so. And the water temperature is correct for dial setting.
Still solenoid?

So getting the required resistance in the solenoid coil is not the absolute proof of its working ability? Didn't know that!
On a solenoid coil that hasn't completely failed will give a kohms reading

But I take it you seem pretty sure the solenoid coil (not stabiliser valve and coil?) is faulty based on my comment about cold water flow etc, despite the 3.75 Ω reading?
Yes i know it's the solenoid coil.

Just been told that the shower flow comes back on a few mins after low pressure light comes on and shuts down! Then it cycles this on/off every 3 mins or so. And the water temperature is correct for dial setting.
Still solenoid?

Solenoid coil fault.

Lucky

£15 + Call-out say £35 ? do the sums = £50 ???

Bit different to new shower £70 and then callout to fit. :rolleyes:
Won't get that for £50

Two Year Guarantee on a new Shower , I`d know which I`d prefer , In my past experience once you start replacing one Component on a Low-cost Shower ..... you are going down the wrong Road ... Now if it was a High end Unit I`d consider replacement Parts !

Total rubbish

PS - My Customers do like my advice and generally take it - Cheers

Only cause they know no better.
Your just after an in/out easy job.
If you can diagnose a job leave to someone that can, i don't recommend a new boiler everytime one breaks down. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back