Triton Ivory II electric shower - very strange problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi We have a Triton Ivory II 9.5kw electric shower which has been working a treat for the last 5 years or so but it has now developed a strange, repeatable - almost like clockwork - problem.

The shower works fine for about 8-9 mins then cuts out and the water stops flowing. The red light is still on at the pull cord and also on the shower itself. If you then switch the shower off at the shower and the pull cord and leave it a while, it works again.

Firstly, a bit of background to how I cared for the shower. A friend told me years ago to every so often after a shower, run the shower on the cold setting with the showerhead off of the hose as this will help flush out the limescale. I have been doing this for years and the amount of limescale that comes out of the hose every time is amazing. Just loads of it.

Initially, I thought it was the thermal cut-out kicking in - so I ran the shower on the Cold setting so that the thermal cut-out wouldn't be needed (is this correct?) but the shower still stopped after a short time, so I don't think it is the cut-out, is it?

I also did some googling and there were a couple of suggestions about running the shower without the showerhead on, in case there is a build-up of limescale in the showerhead causing back pressure. So I tried this but still the same problem of the shower cutting out.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the Inlet filter to see if that is blocked at all - as it may well be after 5 years use, I guess.

it just seems strange to me that the shower does work, but only for a few minutes at the time.

If anyone has any suggestions that I could look at (my Dad's an electrician if that is any help) that would be greatly appreciated, as right now we really can't afford to buy a new shower.

Many thanks in advance,

Face

Sponsored Links
solenoid coils failing.

remove the cover, test the solenoid coil for resistance should give a reading of 3.4 koms or above.
test with mains power off.

run the shower till it cuts out the water flow, isolate power, then test solenoid coil again in it's failed state you'll more likely find it's gone open circuit.
if you keep using the shower in the end the coil will give up all together oneday.

you can purchase the solenoid coil seperate for about £12.
some will try to sell you the complete valve for abut £30.

to replace the coil just use a flat screwdriver to prise it off the spindle then it will pull off.

Hi Seco Services,

Thank you very much for the reply.

Popped the cover of the shower when I got home and tested the solenoid, which read about 3.77/3.78.

Ran the shower until it cut out and tested the solenoid again - I didn't even get a reading - not even 0.00! I let the shower rest for a while and tested the solenoid again and it read about 4.11 and a few minutes later was back down to 3.7x again.

Ran the whole test again and exactly the same thing/readings.

So I guess it must be the solenoid, right?

Now off to follow your link and order a new one.

Thanks again for your pointer.

Face

So I guess it must be the solenoid, right?
2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hey - cool smiley! And an apt one at that too!

New solenoid came yesterday and it now fitted and working a right treat :)

So what exactly is a solenoid and what does it do? In this case it just slips over a plastic bit so can't work out how it actually works.

Thanks again so much for your advice - without it we all would've been without a shower until we'd managed to save up for a new one.

Face

New solenoid came yesterday and it now fitted and working a right treat
Glad to hear it.
ok-wink.gif

So what exactly is a solenoid and what does it do? In this case it just slips over a plastic bit so can't work out how it actually works.

A solenoid coil converts electric energy in to linear motion
When electric current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created

This is accomplished by placing a ferromagnetic core inside the coil. In a solenoid valve, the ferromagnetic core is called the valve plunger. When the current flows through the coil, the lines of magnetic flux turn the plunger into an electromagnet. The magnetic field causes the plunger to slide further up into the coil, opening the diaphragm in valve body

Thanks again so much for your advice -

23_33_6.gif

Hi

I have a Triton Ivory 2 which refuses to stop the water as well! I have no isolation valve for the shower so the only way I can stop the sower working is turning the entire water off for the house! Its not ideal with an 8 week old baby here as well!

I have tried replacing the solenoid coil as decribed above (at the cost of £17) but this has not stopped the problem. I will now try to buy the complete valve assembly-but do I need a solenoid valve assembly or a stabiliser valve assembly? I dont want to waste anymore money so please let me know. There is no loss in water pressure coming from the shower head when the shower's power is switched off-which is why I thought I only needed a solenoid coil. PLEASE HELP!!!

Matt :(

It carries on running with no loss of power of the water. When I turn the mains water on the shower works fine in terms of the temperature, but just does not stop running!

Ive dismantled both the solnoid valve and the stabilser valve but it has made no difference. Ive got a solenoid valve assembly now on order, which comes with a solenoid coil as I cant seem to find it as a seperate part. So thats £47 spent so far-hopefully the valve assembly should work?

more likely the diaphragms failed in the Solenoid valve assembly.
take it off see if you can blow through it. scale can keep them open aswell.
you can check a solenoid coil by doing a resistance test with a mutl meter.

Hi
can you plese sugest newer triton shover unit to replace my broken ivory2.it is important to have the same mounting hole

Hi
I have read the helpful advice regarding the solenoid being the likely cause of the water flow stopping. My shower appears to have the same problem, although it does not work at all even for short periods or if it is turned off at the pull-switch for a while. It was not a gradual problem either, just stopped working during use and no water flow since. Could this be somehting other than the solenoid? I beleive that we suffered a power surge around that time as our microwave stopped working needing a trip to the repairer.
Want to avoid buying a solenoid if might then need other parts or end up replacing the whole unit, so any advice gratefully received!
Thanks

Check the solenoid coil for resistance with a multi meter.
Should be 3.4 kohms or above.

I would be most grateful for your help. I have ivory 2 shower and gone faulty. need to replace to new but can not find ivory 2 model. Ivory 4 is available but has a difference foot print. can the ivory 4 be fitted withoout any mods to plumbing (inlet), I can handle electrics but not plumbing.

thanks

mojo54

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...y-2-shower-with-ivory-4.375251/#ixzz2dlj3fsNp
solenoid coils failing.

remove the cover, test the solenoid coil for resistance should give a reading of 3.4 koms or above.
test with mains power off.

run the shower till it cuts out the water flow, isolate power, then test solenoid coil again in it's failed state you'll more likely find it's gone open circuit.
if you keep using the shower in the end the coil will give up all together oneday.

you can purchase the solenoid coil seperate for about £12.
some will try to sell you the complete valve for abut £30.

to replace the coil just use a flat screwdriver to prise it off the spindle then it will pull off.

My shower would not switch off without using the pull cord initially however now it won't switch on at all using the pull cord or the dial on the shower. Can anyone help please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back