Triton Jade electric shower PRD valve fault? Water leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Trtion electric shower, this morning it started leaking from behind the water outlet, upon investigation it appears there is a PRD safety valve which opens in event of a blockage in the shower hose or head (both of which have been removed for the investigation, there is just the bare outlet so no blockage there). The PRD overflow/outlet pipe behind the main outlet is running continuiously when the shower is switched on indicating either a blockage in the unit or a faulty PRD valve.

There is plenty of water coiming out of the main shower outlet while the PRD outlet is leaking, so it does not appear to be a full internal blockage (plenty of water squirting through), has anyone come across faulty PRD valves on these units before and if so can they be replaced easily and economically?

Best regards David

Sponsored Links
I know with the Gainsborough showers there is a small rubber or silicone ball that blows out when the pressure relief valve does it's job and it is sometimes just a case of re-seating the little ball ( if you can find it ).
Not all showers are the same though so just an idea.

Thanks for the reply, it looks to me that the PRD valve is within the heater element unit, the "overflow" pipe comes out of the heater uniter just behind the main shower head outlet, not a seperate valve it seems!

Although looking on the Triton website the later showers have the PRD valve listed and numbered in the installation instructions just below the heater unit.....maybe they learnt a lesson?

Best regards David

just fit a new prd.
once the ball has blown out and you have lost it its knackered.
so new prd will sort it.

the prd is held in the tank by the outlet pipe.
part n0 83301330

Sponsored Links
you meust sort why the prd blew either blocked/restricted shower head or
restricted hose kinked etc.

I actually found the small ball from the valve in the trap, took the PRD pipe assembly off and popped it back in......all working fine again now.

And before anyone says it'll blow up now I tested PRD assembly on my compressor air tank and it blows at about 20psi, not much at all and as a practical test if I now block the shower pipe outlet with my thumb the ball pops out again.......excellent result.

The reason the valve first "popped" appears to be a result of an accumulation of limescale in the shower head, which has now been given a thorough descalling.

Once again thanks to all the suggestions.

David

Thanks for the info here. Did the same with mine. Popped the ball back in the valve. Put it back together. Tested with the head off. Worked fine. Stripped and cleaned the shower head. Absolutely full of crap. Live on the sussex coast in a hard water area so builds up quick. Works great now. Better than before. Cheers again.
Gav
:LOL:

Concur with the other posters here - all you need is the little rubber ball which fits into the PRD. You can get five of them from ebay for under a fiver.

Manufacturers love telling everyone that they must purchase the entire PRD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back