Triton 'Jade' Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shower intermittently goes cold. 2 - 3 times during use, appears worse if the heat is increased. Have changed the shower head, and don't think it's low pressure as light is not on and have another Triton shower off the same water supply.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with a Triton shower (forget the make now as in a previous house). The problem lay with the temp sensor which was on the outlet (inside the box). I managed to pick one up from a domestic appliance shop for a fiver, changed it over and problem solved. For the model I had it was a simple case of disconnecting the wires from the sensor, undo a couple of securing screws and the sensor came away, swap it over and reconnect up.
Couple of tips though, ensure that the new sensor is a good fit as it will leak if not and ensure that the wires are re-secured nice and tight otherwise the wires can burn out - as I found out! :confused:

Good advice about tight connections Dusty or it looks like this, and this is a Triton shower.
2-picture3.jpg

If you go to the Triton website you can order spares directly if you can't get one locally.
You're probably right about the thermal cut-out on the outlet but Triton usually fit one on the inlet as well.

Thats exactly what it looked like!! Didn't make the same mistake twice!!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for pic shaggy, I went around to a house yesterday where there was some trouble with a shower, turns out to be a trinitron jade 3 I think it is, cables totaly melted away right back to wall, the copper is melted too not just PVC, going to need alot of repair work done, and hopefully the shower still will work since thats melted in places too.

It was fitted less than a year ago, by a decorator who saw the shower in a box and said to the client ' i can do that for you if you want'

.... :cry:

so what size was the cable and what was it connected to

1311 posts! blimey you should be promoted :LOL:

cable connected to it was 6mm, backed up by 30A cartridge fuse :rolleyes:

hence not good.

46A is Clipped Direct BAS...

This was tiled over and plastered in the wall, only place it was clipped was for a couple of meters in the cupboard under the stairs.

secondly they are my jumping smileys, mine mine mine, you should know better!

and lastly........nevermind :cool:

L.Spark said:
46A is Clipped Direct BAS...

This was tiled over and plastered in the wall, only place it was clipped was for a couple of meters in the cupboard under the stairs.
Even so. Method 1 regards embedded in plaster as the same as clipped direct, and even with Method 6 6mm² should be good for 32A.

So in this case although Ib was way too high, and exceeded In, if we assume a worst case Iz of 32A (almost certainly it was higher than that), 1.45Iz = 46.4A.

I2 for a 30A BS88 fuse is 48A and for a BS1361 it's 45A.

So the cable may have been undersized, but it only required its Iz to be 34A, and it would in theory have been OK for the load it was being asked to carry.

Yes it would have got hot, and yes I know that in practice you should never sail that close to the wind, and 10mm² is the only acceptable answer, but I don't see why it should have gone into the catastrophic meltdown you described...

Design calculations aside, whats happened has happened, possibly a loose connection, or possibly a shower fault but that seems unlikely.

6mm I would have to agree should have been fine, but its far too close to play with for 10.5kW, after all Triton reccomend 10mm cable for 8.5kw showers and above! :confused:

anyway if I manage to get any pics il post them up, unfortantly I took the side cutters out and removed most of the mess, was joined with what looked like either 15A or 30A terminal block :confused:

L.Spark said:
Triton reccomend 10mm cable for 8.5kw showers and above!
Good for them. Smart move too, as that means that they can sell you a bigger one next time round.....

Triton 'Jade ' Shower
Thanks for the ideas regarding intermittent cold shower, have purchased another (exactly the same, easy to swop, hopefully won't have the same probs) and will try to sort out the faulty one ready for the next time.
Dudley West

ban-all-sheds said:
L.Spark said:
Triton reccomend 10mm cable for 8.5kw showers and above!
Good for them. Smart move too, as that means that they can sell you a bigger one next time round.....

lol, not everything has a sinister reason behind it, however........ :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back