Triton Opal shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 10 year old Triton Opal which does not appear to be working properly in that there is no difference in flow when you press either button 1 or 3 for the hot supply. The light switches from 1 to 3, so the selection button is working, but the flow of water from the shower head does not change.

One thing I haven't checked yet, and I'll do it when I get home, is to see if the flow alters when I press button 2 for a cold shower. If it makes no difference then I am guessing the PCB has gone? If it flows ok on cold, but doesn't change on 1 or 3, what else could be the cause?

Other thing I will do when I get home is to check the inlet filter, but apart from that, what else could be the cause of the problem?

I know I'm asking a question without having done all the checks yet, but I just wanted to post the message while people are around so I can then try and progress this evening :LOL:

Thanks very much,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We have a 10 year old Triton Opal which does not appear to be working properly in that there is no difference in flow when you press either button 1 or 3 for the hot supply. The light switches from 1 to 3, so the selection button is working, but the flow of water from the shower head does not change.

buttons 1-3 won't change the flow only how many heating elements are being used.
1-cold
2-1 element
3-2 elements.

the dial 1-10 alters the flow.

1- fast
10-slow

Thanks for clarification as to which bit does what :)

Based on what you are saying then, it would appear the elements are not working correctly. We have to turn the flow dial to around 9 before it is hot enough and it does not make a difference which button it is set on, either 2 or 3.

Am I still right in thinking the PCB could be at fault if the inlet filter is ok? Or is it the heating can or something else?

Paul

Sponsored Links
the Symptoms you give don't relate to a filter problem.
poss a heating element has failed or a relay on the pcb.

check the elements for resistance with a multi meter.
12-18 ohms on each element. with the showers mains power off.
you can also watch each relay to see if they are working.
also check the bottom tco for continuity or any burnt connections around it.

Thanks for the pointers regarding the elements and/or pcb. Checked elements with mulitmeter, both reading 11.6 ohms. Then checked pcb, no response on relay when button for heat 2 pressed. Replaced pcb, everything working perfectly.....except there was water coming from the inside of the unit when switched on!! Had another look with the front off, heater can had a tiny split, spraying water all over the insides, which was probably what caused failure in the first place. Replaced heater can.....shower currently working well :D

glad it sorted it.
lucky you noticed the heater can before you had another pcb go. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back