Triton push-fit bar mixer bracket dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished installing my shower enclosure and have reached the stage where I'm ready to install the mixer valve.
I received a set of push-fit mixer brackets with the shower I purchased and wrongly assumed that due to the term 'push-fit' being employed and a quick scan of the installation instructions that PEX would be suitable for the tails.
Upon closer inspection of the instructions (although not stated explicitly - as far as I can see), it seems that these brackets are intended for use with copper tails (!)
I attempted a test-fit with the PEX pipe and a Superseal insert and although i didn't force it, it felt significantly tighter than a standard push-fit interface to the point where I the insert didn't want to push past the o-ring.

I suspect that these brackets are reasonably commonplace and that there are some folk on here with expeirence fitting them, so my questions are:

1. I understand that superseal inserts are a baw hair wider than generic inserts. Will a generic insert work with these brackets?

2. The instructions are very specific that the tails must protrude no less than 28mm and no more than 30mm from the finished wall. Will I have to shave 2mm off the end of the tails to account for the inserts, should I end up using them?

3. Due to the nature of the install, would I be reasonably safe to forego inserts completely and install the PEX into the brackets Commando?

My other plan was to saw the flanges off the superseals, tidy up the ends and push them flush into the tails, but I suspect there will be little to no benefit to this and that they would likely end up migrating out of the pipe and into the bracket eventually.

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If you can give us a pic of the fitting kit.

The superseal inserts probably just need a little lubrication, a wipe of silicone grease or a smidging of soapy liquid, they are always tight into push fit fittings.

Never ever forgo the inserts

I would presume the length will be very specific to ensure the fittings and then the shower/shrouds fit tight to the wall.

If you can give us a pic of the fitting kit.

The superseal inserts probably just need a little lubrication, a wipe of silicone grease or a smidging of soapy liquid, they are always tight into push fit fittings.

Never ever forgo the inserts

I would presume the length will be very specific to ensure the fittings and then the shower/shrouds fit tight to the wall.

There's an exploded drawing at this link: https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/amfile/file/download/file/779/product/1501/

Looking at it again, it does in-fact state that PEX can be used. I've fitted a fair few pushfit connectors in my time, but none have felt quite this tight against the pipe insert. Maybe just down to the metal body being more rigid than a standard PF assembly? Going to have another pop at it tomorrow. Will try without shaving a couple of mm off first, at least if they're too long it can be easily resolved!

If you don't have access to the pipework behind the valve when the wall is tiled ,then I wouldn't use that contrived piece of junk, it's the worst set of installation criteria I have ever seen.
I would suggest you use copper pipes with soldered fittings if the pipework is inaccessible too .

Sponsored Links
If you don't have access to the pipework behind the valve when the wall is tiled ,then I wouldn't use that contrived piece of junk, it's the worst set of installation criteria I have ever seen.
I would suggest you use copper pipes with soldered fittings if the pipework is inaccessible too .
It's installed in the partition wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. No direct access, but easy enough to cut a hole in the wall should something spring a leak. It's behind the bedroom door, so would probably just pop an access panel in if it came to it.
The installation criteria is a bit over the top. But a hell of a lot easier to follow than the god-awful shower enclosure booklet!
Will report back once everything is fitted!

I would get rid of the push fit mounts you have and replace with compression ones

Yup, have to agree with the others, that's an awfully/overly complicated shower fitting kit. Too many requirement to ensure it fits correctly and it's leak free. If one step is wrong then the fittings won't fit flush to the wall.

Using plain inserts and the fitting kit linked to above, once the areas is tiled/boarded, is a much more straightforward way to install.

So it's in! Definitely not the most straightforward of installs, but it all came together pretty well. I can imaging things being a bit of a disaster if any of the measurements are out. But obsessive measuring and re-measuring paid off in the end.

20221101_105620.jpg

Had another bash with the superseals but there was just no way they were going in. Solved the issue by cutting off the outer ring and leaving a ~1mm flange to push up against the stop-end inside the bracket. I had previously cut the tails to bang-on 29mm, so the extra 1mm of length was still within tolerances.

20221101_071319.jpg

Pressure tested, flow tested, all grand! Probably wouldn't end up using this particular kit again, but it seems pretty solid now it's all together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back