Triton shower issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Before I look for someone to come out and see what the issue may be, I thought I'd look to here in case anyone is aware of how to resolve this issue or had come across it?

I moved into my current property in decelmber last year. The property is electric only and has an immersion tank. The shower in the flat was a triton trance (first generation I believe). Some days it would work fine with the water nice and hot, but other days I would turn it on and the water would be coming out cold. The low pressure light was not coming on to indicate any pressure issue. It was doing this quite frequently so I decided to get a new shower - the triton trance 2nd generation. For about a month and a half I had no issues, but in the past few weeks, the shower runs cold and once again the low pressure light does not come on. When I try the shower later in the day (some times maybe only about 30 mins later), the shower is back to normal and is hot.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas to where the issue could be? It's left me a bit puzzled!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a pressure problem. In a flat your water pressure can vary quite a bit as other residents are drawing water ,particularly if you all share a common supply pipe. As its a new shower Triton would send an engineer to fix free of charge ,IF its a fault in the shower ,they would charge if it is not.

Sounds like a pressure problem. In a flat your water pressure can vary quite a bit as other residents are drawing water ,particularly if you all share a common supply pipe. As its a new shower Triton would send an engineer to fix free of charge ,IF its a fault in the shower ,they would charge if it is not.

Hi terryplumb, thank you for your response. Sorry for my very dumb question but as the low pressure light isn't actually on/lit, does this mean that it could still be an issue with the pressure regardless.

Yes its possible. Its also possible when the led is alight to indicate power is getting to the unit ,that the electric supply has a fault. I don't think its the case with yours as the solenoid is working and water is flowing ,albeit cold. Here is a trial you can do the next time you only get cold water..turn top dial to cold setting ,and turn bottom dial fully ANTI clockwise ,you should see an immediate stronger flow of water from shower head. If you don't you have a pressure problem. If you do get a much stronger flow ,turn top dial to highest setting and bottom dial fully clockwise.that should give you hot water at a very slow flow. If it doesn't call triton under their warranty. You will need to show proof of purchase.

Sponsored Links
Does this problem occur when you are the second person into the shower? If so get the preceding person to run the shower on cold for a few seconds - that makes sure the heating chamber can cool down and the overheat sensor does not isolate the heating circuits.
If you are the first or only person using the shower make sure the mains water stop cock is turned on fully and back a half turn - that should help resolve any pressure issues.

Yes its possible. Its also possible when the led is alight to indicate power is getting to the unit ,that the electric supply has a fault. I don't think its the case with yours as the solenoid is working and water is flowing ,albeit cold. Here is a trial you can do the next time you only get cold water..turn top dial to cold setting ,and turn bottom dial fully ANTI clockwise ,you should see an immediate stronger flow of water from shower head. If you don't you have a pressure problem. If you do get a much stronger flow ,turn top dial to highest setting and bottom dial fully clockwise.that should give you hot water at a very slow flow. If it doesn't call triton under their warranty. You will need to show proof of purchase.

Hi terryplumb, the water went cold today after being hot for a few minutes (normally it does not heat up at all if it's going to come out cold, but anyway..) so I took the opportunity to try what you suggested. When the cold setting was on, the water flow increased and I turned the dials as you mentioned which gave me hot water again! Thank you so much! I did just want to ask if this method can be used every time or will it cause damage to the unit? Also does this indicate what the issue could be or is it just a quirk that some showers have?

Hi ,sounds like a water pressure problem . when you have the shower running at a hot temperature that suits you ,is the pressure from the shower head quite a poor flow ?

Hi ,sounds like a water pressure problem . when you have the shower running at a hot temperature that suits you ,is the pressure from the shower head quite a poor flow ?

I've never really thought that the pressure from the shower head was poor, in fact it's better than the last place I lived ha! But generally speaking the flow from the taps isn't great (if that helps at all?)

What is the flow like from kitchen cold tap ,which is fed from mains pressure as your shower is ? ( or should be )!! Ignore hot taps and any others ,they may not be . as you have had the same problem with the new shower ,as you did with the old one , it does point to an issue with the water supply.

Maybe a daft question - but is the isolating valve/tap for the shower fully open? Be in the pipework somewhere.

What is the flow like from kitchen cold tap ,which is fed from mains pressure as your shower is ? ( or should be )!! Ignore hot taps and any others ,they may not be . as you have had the same problem with the new shower ,as you did with the old one , it does point to an issue with the water supply.

Cold tap in the kitchen is all fine, it's the hot taps that have the lower pressure in the property. Also I just wanted to establish from the earlier post: when the shower went cold and I immediately turned the bottom dial anti clockwise and the top dial to cold,the flow of water was stronger. So could it be that the shower struggles with pressure when trying to heat and it essentially cuts out? I have the shower on the hot setting, and the bottom dial at 6 so I'm trying not to have over hot water as it were.

Last edited:
Maybe a daft question - but is the isolating valve/tap for the shower fully open? Be in the pipework somewhere.
Hello! Not a daft question at all as I'm clueless in this haha! Is it easy to identify? I'll take a look when I get home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back