Trolley Jack question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased my first halfords 3 tonne trolley jack. It came in the box with the valve open. So for me to lift it I had to turn the valve clockwise with the handle. My question is, seeing as it came with the valve open, is this the preferred storage method? after lifting a car then lowering it by turning the valve anti-clockwise, do I just leave the valve in the open position the jack can't be raised again until I close the valve?

Also, is there any risk to leaving the jack outdoors (not directly exposed to rain, cover it with something)

Sponsored Links
I always leave my valve in the closed position so that as and when i use the jack the next time, i know that the valve is fully closed and so that there is zero risk of any hydraulic fluid leaking out.

I always leave my valve in the closed position so that as and when i use the jack the next time, i know that the valve is fully closed and so that there is zero risk of any hydraulic fluid leaking out.

I have several hydraulic jacks, including a full size garage jack. I always leave them, just as I finish using them, with the valve open and have never had a problem. I only store them, in the orientation they are used and would never store one regularly outdoors.

Sponsored Links
Open for me. Not for any specific reason, just that that’s how they will be when you are finished using them.

Open. So the piston cannot be extended and open to the air.

I wouldn't want to keep it outdoors either

I don't think it makes any difference. I've left them open and close, for years, on various jacks, as the mood takes me.

Sponsored Links
Back