trouble with the drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate of mine bought a cheap repossessed house.

It had a downstairs bathroom which smelled of damp due to lack of ventilation but after 12 months the damp and smell were getting worse and the toilet was not working. We pulled up the carpet which proved to be rotten, and the floor boards had the consistency of balsa wood!

Removing the floor boards left him us speechless! The previous owner had moved the toilet, and the waste pipe which required 3 x 90 degree bends which we presumed he did not have as he laid the plastic pipe on the dirt below the floorboards and then lumped concrete wherever a bend was required!

Astoundingly this worked for a while but the joins wept and started leaking and filled the floor void with raw sewage! Even more astounding was that the smell was not as bad as it could have been,once the floor was lifted!

Needless to say a competent plumber was called who sorted the drains out and my mate had a happy time cleaning the floor void before replacing the entire floor and all that.

Sponsored Links
What a terrible tale. I could hardly believe it.

Until I saw which country it was in... :LOL:

What a terrible tale. I could hardly believe it.

Until I saw which country it was in... :LOL:

:LOL: Bad luck old chum this was in good old blighty! I am from the home country dont you know wot wot!
Sadly the land of sunshine and kangaroos is not exempt from such bodgery and I have seen terrible things done by so called professionals so my tales will also include Australia if anyone is interested.
Austeve

The word "carpet" should never be in the same sentence as the word "bathroom", let alone the same room.

There's your problem.

Sponsored Links
1, unhygeinic 2, outdated.

i can't name one customers house with carpet in their bathroom
that i have had to work in and i can say the carpet don't stink.

1, unhygeinic 2, outdated.

i can't name one customers house with carpet in their bathroom
that i have had to work in and i can say the carpet don't stink.

Personally I have never lived in a house without a carpet in the bathroom.
And I know of many others in the same position.

Some of us have learnt to p**s in the toilet, not on the floor....

i am selling less carpets for bathrooms and more vinyls but the are people who like comfort under their feet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back