trowel damage

That trowel to me looks like a very old non stainless one that has either had some corrosive substance on it and its eaten away the metal or the rust has just eaten through the trowel. Looks like the other corner is ready to come off too...

Sponsored Links
It must be the poor quality picture Roy, its only a few months old.
It does seem it got in a bad way quickly as the old cheapo Trowel looks much better with much more use!

I wonder if some caustic soda got spilt on it as I was using this on the skirting boards...?

Anyway good news...

No fuss at all, they just swapped it.
Good ol' B&Q :D

It must be the poor quality picture Roy, its only a few months old.
It does seem it got in a bad way quickly as the old cheapo Trowel looks much better with much more use!

I wonder if some caustic soda got spilt on it as I was using this on the skirting boards...?

Anyway good news...

No fuss at all, they just swapped it.
Good ol' B&Q :D

You are one lucky fella Robbie, i'd put a quid on the lottery tonight if i were you. ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's true. All you pay for is the advertising. They are to trowels what DeWalt are to drills. Not bad but way overpriced.

My trusty old friend trowel is of 6+ years is ----- a cheapo B&Q ;) the soft grip handle is long gone though. :LOL:

My trusty old friend trowel is of 6+ years is ----- a cheapo B&Q ;) the soft grip handle is long gone though. :LOL:

I have an old t-rusty old Builder Centre trowel that i use a lot too., great for roughing in. It's also very true about a trowel (your main plastering/finishing trowel), it becomes an extention of your arm,,, you let no one else use it,, you look after it,,, and the older it gets, (being looked after),,, the better it gets,,, a real "trusty old friend" as Rich' said. It pays the bills,, and it puts grub on your plate. ;)

Marshalltown are well known for being rubbish. Real plasterers don't use them. Ragni are cheap and very good.
Absolute twaddle Joe.

I'm with noseall on this the only problem I had with a MT trowel was 20 years ago when I had a rivet "pop", I took it back and it was replaced.. Like I've said I use a Tyzack now but I put another handle on it off an old notched tiling trowel and it works for me . But I have still got my MT trowels which I use on sand and cement work .

Joe, i used Ragni an Tyzac trowels and they are good but what sets a Marshaltown apart, and it is why spreads and brickies are turning to them in droves, is because the metal is very thin, very light and very strong.
I used w.h.s. brickies trowels for years and i thought they were the dogs. Marshaltown trowels are larger and lighter and the steel is extraordinary.

Bare in mind Joe that i have been in the building trade since i was 15 years old and i am now 43 so i have used a heck of a lot of brickie and plastering trowels.

I don't like them. They are nothing special and way over-priced. Plasterers I know don't tend to like them very much.

The plasterers i know (quite a number) refuse to use anything else.

It is all in the weight of the blade.

Have you ever used a stainless, permashape, durasoft Joe?

i got to admit guys i was born with a marshall town in my hand and wouldnt swap it for anything else and ive got plaster in my blood !!! Not bad with a mixer!!! dont try it neat though lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back