truckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are wrongly claiming I said something I didn't.

Sponsored Links
When USA sneezes we all catch cold... No one can remain immune.

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/05/29/ccoil229.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox]TOL.. [/url] said:
...One by one, countries across Asia and the Middle East are being forced to abandon price controls on fuel and energy, bringing hundreds of millions of consumers face to face with the true market cost of oil. The effect has already begun to chip away at world demand and may ultimately trigger a slide in crude prices...

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/05/26/cnsoros126.xml]Soros [/url] said:
...Speculators are largely responsible for driving crude prices to their peaks in recent weeks and the record oil price now looks like a bubble, George Soros has warned...
OPEC's take on things.. May 2008
http://www.opec.org/home/Monthly Oil Market Reports/2008/mr052008.htm

:rolleyes:

Since its conception way back in the 1870's everything we do now (or almost) is reliant on the infernal combustion engine whether it is petrol or diesal,before that the good old horse was our beast of burden and if its to be believed that the oil reserves will not last too much longer then the horse will once again come to the fore.Unless there is some clever clogs out there who can come up with low priced substitute for fuel.If its tobe believed that we can fly men to the moon,land spaceships on Mars surely its not behond the capabilities of some genius to come up with an alternative.

...the horse will once again come to the fore.Unless there is some clever clogs out there who can come up with low priced substitute for fuel...

If it is fine by you I will keep using my hydrogen powered car ;)

Sponsored Links
I have read a few websites about the impending doom of running out of oil, usually though they have nothing to back up their claims.

I came across this website http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Index.html yesterday and it made for good reading. The author has backed up every point he has made.

The basics for people who don't want to read the full article are:

1: We are not about to suddenly run out of oil, we just won't be able to produce enough oil to sustain demand. This means the price will sky rocket, affecting the cost of everything we buy. It could also start global conflicts as fighting breaks out over who gets what oils is available.
2: There is no alternative. Oil is used to manufacture/produce/transport everything we eat or use. Alternative energy such as wind power is next to useless. The same with solar power. Nuclear power is also pretty useless as all it can do is produce electricity, not ideal to run your car on.

Basically we are all doomed :eek:

Well worth a read

Anyway, I am off in the Range Rover to get some beer and drown me sorrows ;)

What are they whining about? They simply work out their running costs and add profit on top. It's you and me that pays the extra fuel price with higher consumer prices on goods they carry - not them.

And what can Gordon do about the price of World oil anyway? Not only that - the faster we use our dwindling oil resources the bigger the crash when the price goes through the roof due to our squandering a finite resource. We leave our kids houses and cash - how about leaving them something really useful - like a bit of oil?

To bring this back on topic.What the hauliers are facing is unfair foreign competition (known as cabotage) from continental hauliers who pay a lot less for there fuel and undercut rates (same as Poles are doing to the UK laboour market),which prevents UK hauliers from simply passing on the cost as the customers can just look to johny foreigner to do his tranpsortation,just as with migrant workers UK hauliers are not able to compete with a level deck

What are they whining about? They simply work out their running costs and add profit on top. It's you and me that pays the extra fuel price with higher consumer prices on goods they carry - not them.

And what can Gordon do about the price of World oil anyway? Not only that - the faster we use our dwindling oil resources the bigger the crash when the price goes through the roof due to our squandering a finite resource. We leave our kids houses and cash - how about leaving them something really useful - like a bit of oil?

To bring this back on topic.What the hauliers are facing is unfair foreign competition (known as cabotage) from continental hauliers who pay a lot less for there fuel and undercut rates (same as Poles are doing to the UK laboour market),which prevents UK hauliers from simply passing on the cost as the customers can just look to johny foreigner to do his tranpsortation,just as with migrant workers UK hauliers are not able to compete with a level deck

Fuel is pretty much the same cost in Europe now?

Tonis. Are you saying that all those trucks on the M1 are left hand drive and driven by Poles and their cheap diesel? Don't think so.

Nuclear power is also pretty useless as all it can do is produce electricity, not ideal to run your car on.
So we scale up to full scale Nuclear production for electricity and use electric cars which we charge from a wall socket at home (which are already available) ... No oil ... What's the problem?

We simply need to focus developments on something other than those with a dependency on oil ... The only reason we aren't doing so ££££'s ... Whether we like it or not oil is power and power leads the World.

If someone discovered impulse drive or warp drive or any other form of drive today it would be repressed by the oil producing nations ... ££££'s

MW

More science fiction from MW. You been watching Star Trek again. Maybe we'll discover dilithium crystals (but probably won't). There is no alternative to oil. It's not just about transport, that's the least of our problems. Our entire civilisation is built on CHEAP oil and that is coming to an end - and so is our civilisation (as we know it, Jim).
Besides, it takes 15 years to build a nuke station - we need them now.

well for all you's that moan about the protest theirs another planned for aweeks time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back