Trump: Driving on the wrong side of the road - "It happens"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let's see how special our special relationship really is.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...coolas-car-crash-us-diplomat-uk-a9149746.html

Donald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat accused of killing a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that “it happens”.

Speaking at the White House after a conversation with prime minister Boris Johnson, during which he apparently rejected a request to consider waiving the woman’s diplomatic immunity and her returning to Britain to face the police, the president said he wanted to try and bring about “healing”.

Mr Trump said the US would shortly be speaking to the woman, and that there were many Americans who sympathised with the plight of teenager’s parents, who he said was killed in a “terrible accident”.

Sponsored Links
Anybody killing a person for dangerous driving, driving without due care, etc. would normally get several years.

"Causing death by dangerous driving, or death by careless driving while drunk or on drugs, will carry the top-level punishment." i.e. life.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41627240

"it happens" is Trump for "driving carelessly without considering the rules of the road in the country in which you are driving".

I haven't changed my opinion of the Donald since he came into the presidential orbit in 2015. He's a thicko with money. I mean a 'proper-left-side-of-the-curve' kind of thicko.

In 1998, I was in Italy when an American combat aircraft flew into a skiing valley (where it was not permitted) at less than 610m (which was not permitted) and cut through the cable of a cablecar at height of 120m causing 20 deaths.

The pilot was whisked home to the US within 24 hours and never faced Italian justice.

This caused much ill-will.

He claimed that he was unaware of the no-fly valley and the minimum height, and his altimeter and ground proximity instruments must have been out of order.

His altimeter had been checked during maintenance on the morning of the flight and found to be in order.

After many years, it emerged that the captain and co-pilot pulled out and burned the cockpit video recording when they returned to base, and the maps (showing where flying was not permitted) and the orders (stating minimum flying height) were in the plane at the time of the incident.

American penalties for killing foreigners are very lenient.

Sponsored Links
I haven't changed my opinion of the Donald since he came into the presidential orbit in 2015. He's a thicko with money. I mean a 'proper-left-side-of-the-curve' kind of thicko.
Yip...properly thick billionaires...ten a penny

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...coolas-car-crash-us-diplomat-uk-a9149746.html

Donald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat accused of killing a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that “it happens”.

Speaking at the White House after a conversation with prime minister Boris Johnson, during which he apparently rejected a request to consider waiving the woman’s diplomatic immunity and her returning to Britain to face the police, the president said he wanted to try and bring about “healing”.

Mr Trump said the US would shortly be speaking to the woman, and that there were many Americans who sympathised with the plight of teenager’s parents, who he said was killed in a “terrible accident”.
Horrendous situation for the family of the victim..Cannot really see how ""diplomatic immunity"" covers it...It stinks

There is no such thing!

It's 'America first' and the UK is but a poodle...

It's been that way since WWII

As for trump, I guess we only need to ask the Kurds about how he treats an 'ally' after they've outlived their 'usefulness'!

peach.png

There is no such thing!

It's 'America first' and the UK is but a poodle...

It's been that way since WWII

As for trump, I guess we only need to ask the Kurds about how he treats an 'ally' after they've outlived their 'usefulness'!
Great nations don't have friends they only have interests, that is how they become great.

Great nations don't have friends they only have interests, that is how they become great.
In the same way that nations that ignore their best interests tend to end up as 'losers'...

One only has to understand where the UK is now heading to see the truth of that!

Wonder what would happen in a UK "Diplomat, or Spouse" had an fatal RTA in the USA?

Would the FCO "extract" the "suspected person" out of the USA.or would the US border force deny access to the aircraft?

Just imagine the uproar in the US specially the red neck factions assisted by the NRA if a "felon" was spirited away by our FCO

As an aside, I [a couple of times per month] drive past TRUMP Turnberry, one of the Golf Resorts "owned" in Scotland by "The Donald" it tends to be shall I call it "quiet" There are reports up here of both of the golf clubs "He" owns up here are loosing many, MANY Millions of , £££££ per year since "He" took over.

Reports in the media tend to suggest the USA do not hand over or withdraw Diplomatic Immunity afforded to one of their citizens

The way I see this disaster unfolding is that the [English] Government will act low key, hoping it all blows over as soon as possible, why? because any and all potential markets will be a necessity Post-brexit. Also "The Donald's" skin is baby tender and cannot bear any adverse comments, meaning at present He is Gung Ho for a trade deal, any, and I do mean any adverse comments from the UK will shut that [potential] trade route down instantly.

Somewhere down the line there will be an inquest and possibly a trial [In-Absentia] where all the information [should] be made public, such as Police Traffic Investigation Reports, and possibly video of interrogation of the accused. But will the "system" allow this to proceed?

I think I heard notes that Trump was carrying were photographed by press and those notes stated the lady would not be extradicted.

Somebody has suggested the US were miffed that Gary whatsisnames extradition request was turned down by TM

You know where the door is.
It would be tempting to watch from afar at quitters falling on themselves as the country goes downhill...

However quitters don't appear to understand that they have shut the door...

Or do they not understand the consequences of removing freedom of movement? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back