TRV faultfinding for Ideal Isar HE 24 with H9 / L9 error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this weekend the boiler gives me this error message and stops providing CH or DHW. Looking at the ideal website they suggest to check the TRV's. I just fitted a new rad 2 weeks back so there may well be something in there. I got some questions and would be grateful for any answers:-

- I fitted the new rad with the locksheild halfway open is that correct? Its the closest rad to the boiler and I am not sure if I should just leave in on all the time. BTW the TRV on the other end is about midway i.e 2-3 at present.

- When bleeding/refilling the system what is the ideal settuing for the TRV all the way open I presume? BTW I have one rad closest the thermostat that has open lockshields

Any help appreicated

Adam

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ideal advice :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: what a joke!!

the H9/L9 is probably caused by a lack of flow through the boiler, probable cause is sh ite in the system that has as a result of your rad change has dislodged and found its way into the plate heat exchanger so partually blocking it.

Yup well aware of its ****e status - but wasn't when we bought the house with it already installed :(

anyway it must be worwhile draining it and refilling in the hope it may dislodge the sediment?

Do you have a radiator with no trvs providing 10% of the boiler load?
Have you tried shutting down all your rads bar this bypass rad and taking a flow and return reading?
Do you have an external bypass if all rads have TRVs?
Have you taken out the bleed point in the pump to see if its turning fast enough and cant be stopped or air in it?
Did you check the AAV was open properly and releasing air when refilling system?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ideal advice :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: what a joke!!

the H9/L9 is probably caused by a lack of flow through the boiler, probable cause is s**t in the system that has as a result of your rad change has dislodged and found its way into the plate heat exchanger so partually blocking it.

Dont think so!!!
Would only fail on hw then not heating :rolleyes:
Probable cause of airlock in MAIN hex or slow or seized pump or other things Ive listed above in previous post

Oh and look above Im from Ideal and Ive gave advice ;) :!:

dumb question. where is the AAV on an ideal isar? Is it the capped valve exit on the top of the unit or that the expansion valve?

TBH mate phone in the experts you sound out yer depth.

Yes I came to that conclusion last night after the 2nd drain down of the system followed by refilling/bleeding rads = same result L9/H9. Will call Ideal today as my usual CH servicing company didn't carry the spares for the HE 24.

I have got of a sneaking feeling that if installing a new rad over 2 weeks ago has introduced this boiler fault that the HE24 is a tempermental beast. I replace a rad in old house with Potterton 80e boiler and never ran into this crap and I was a lot less boots&braces about :LOL:

Wonder if I might be better off thinking about having the boiler replaced anyway as the HE24 was installed for the prvious owner who was an old lady and I am not sure if it is man enough to take the demands of a growing family. Thank god we have an electric shower!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back