TRV\\\'s water direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I an having problems with my TRV\\\'s, (Thermostatic Radiator Valves) so I was wondering if there is a special way for them to be fitted as they have an arrow on them which I prosume is a water flow direction indicator. and at the moment the hot water on most of my radiators flows through the radiator then through the TRV\\\'s the wrong

can anybody help

D :cry:

Sponsored Links
radiators not getting very hot some heat but not a lot

from what i read on these forums and from what you say the trvs are on the wrong end

Sponsored Links
How do I get to Know that the TRV's are on the wrong end a plumber installed the when he fitted my glowworm back boiler

Find out what type of TRV's you have most of them are dual flow this means you can put them of either the flow or the return it makes no difference. also you can take the top of the TRV and see if the needle is free if not WD40 may free them,

closely look at the arrow make on the cast metal body of the valve. If the arrow is double ended and each end of the arrow points in different directions then the valves are bidirectional and can be placed on either end of the rad. If they have a single headed arrow then the water should flow through them in this direction only.

The only problem with putting one way trv's on the return instead of the flow is that you get valve hammer when the valve is just about to close, the water pressure pushes down on the top of the valve and the valve tries to resist it and it resonates.

Yes I'd agree with ill_wind. If the valvesare fully open the rads should get hot. If the valves don't make any undesirable noises then leave them alone. Problem could be pump going slow or system sludge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back