TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have a central heating system with the cylinder in the airing cupboard

i have 10 radiators all with manual valves

i want to change to TRV so that i can regulate temperature in te bed rooms which sometimes becomes hot

i am employing a plumber/ heating engineer to do the job

reading through the internet i feel to descale the system and put in inhibitor as water in the system is dark

i have bought some Scalemaster SM4 to do this

my engineer tells me that it is difficult to get these types of substances out once put it in unless powerflush and advises me that not to bother with it

However, salesman in the shop which sells these substances tells me unless you get rid of these scales and put in an inhibitor the TRV may not work properly

i am confused as to which one to follow

Many thanks in advance for advise

sam

Sponsored Links
On this occasion the salesman is more right than the engineer.

But he should have sold you a leading brand of inhibitor like Fernox or Sentinel.

I suspect you dont want to pay your engineer for treating with the chemical and he tells you that because he knows you dont want to pay him for whats involved in doing it properly.

Tony

get some cleanser in the system and give it a good run

only time you might have probs getting it out is with drop fed rads and there is a way round that ;)

it is not that i dont want to pay

engineer says it is not needed

to do it proprly he says it needs powerflush and it will take a day and will cost £300 and he says it is unnessary as i have a 15 year old potterton boiler and the channels are bigger and it would not get blocked.
he tells me if change to a combi boiler it is will be essential to powerflush and it can be done at that time. but i am worried about the PROPER FUNCTIONING OF TRV

i am not sure but he mentioned some thing like my system is a drop fed system

THANKS AGAIN

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev

i will get a good descaler

my radiators are drop fed radiators

how to get it out of the system

sam

I would use dynamic flushing!

Thats a term I coined about 10 years ago which was then copied by Camco including my description!

You run the heating with all rads on and then bleed about 3-4 litres/minute to drain and continue for about 40-90 minutes when the water runs clear.

It works well with drop fed rads. But you can turn off the other rads for a while if you wanted to give extra flushing to just those.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back