TRVs not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm being driven mad by my radiators at the moment.

Two of the radiators (all have TRVs) do not seem to be working as the rads go on full blast and do not turn off (unless the valve is turned to 0). When the valves are removed the radiator stays on full blast.

I'm not sure if the valves are faulty but i did try swapping over one of them and it might have done the trick. My other concern is that i think that the system is not balanced as i can hear the hot water 'gushing' into a few of the rads (not just the ones upstairs) when the heating is one. If I turn down the TVR the noise stops until the TRV kicks again again to add more water to heat up.

Does this sound like faulty valves and or a system that needs to be balanced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Trv's work by limiting the flow into the rad the hotter it gets, via a little cylinder of wax.. That expands with heat and shuts down the valve slowly etc, It wont suddenly cut or add more hot water if you like.. It wont regulate any efficient temprature nor will you be a able to feel the difference unless you stood there for 30 mins with your hand on the rad =) It sounds to me like the opposite side of the radiator, (lockshield valve) is wound down in an attempt to balance, I'd crank that side up, leave your trv between 3 and 4, Bleed you rads, and see what happens. I doubt it's the trv's that are faulty though mate. Personally trv's are a waste of time to me anyway, The regulated temprature brackets are not accurate in the least, more of an "Easy use On and off button for numptys" Only benefit is easy indivdual control for each room, Not that you couldnt do that before trv's were invented, Sounding like a rugged 50 year old plumber im 24 haha. Good luck =P

Thanks for that information- i'll give it a go.

Just to be sure though- when you say crank up the lockshield valve you mean turn it anti-clockwise to fully open it up?

Normally when the rads come on they will come on full power and then go on and off according to the tvr setting. The one upstairs does not turn off at all. why would you think that is not a faulty trv?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back