Trv's not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I just moved into my home and realised that none of the TRVs in the home are working. I turn the valve but the temp isn't adjusting nor will the radiator turn off.

I have a hive thermostat which is working fine. The rads do turn based on the timer. But the individual TRVs don't work.

Hope someone can help here. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Follow the videos on YouTube for releasing the stuck pin.
Can be as simple as giving them a tap to shock the pin or you may need to release pin yourself.
I also go give my trv a clean out washing in sink.

The pin is out for on, and in for off, and it left out all summer they are known to stick, the electronic heads exercise the valve to stop this, mine do it midday every Saturday.

The cheap electronic valves I have shows a code if pin stuck, or if it travels too far, odd the more expensive type shows no code.

Tapping some times frees them, but also known for pin to come out, so a bit wary about tapping it.

But light tap should not harm.

Sponsored Links
The pin is out for on, and in for off, and it left out all summer they are known to stick, the electronic heads exercise the valve to stop this, mine do it midday every Saturday.

Just to make it clear, the pins are not designed to move very far - only around 2mm and under a fairly strong spring pressure. It's unlikely you would be able to push them in/down/closed, with just bare finger pressure - use a coin, or the side of your pliers. If you find you can press them in a little way, they are working as they should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back