TRVS/Working from Home/ Gas Boiler Greenstar I

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ive recently started a new job working from home and finding it a bit chilly.

Its not practical to have heating on all day in every room so I have come up with a solution.

I turn all TRVs to low with the exception of the room Im working in. I take the thermostat into the room where Im working and set it to a comfortable temperature.

At the end of the working day, I turn the TRVs up in all rooms and put thermostat back in lounge.

Will using my heating like this cause me any future problems? Is it the best solution? I notice my pressure has dropped a little, just under 1, slightly in red. Thank you

Sponsored Links
wont damage your system in any way, but a bit of faffing around, have a look at smart TRV systems like Evo home and you can control it all via an App and since you are working from home tax deductable

or turn heating off and get an electric oil filled rad just for room your working in

have a look at smart TRV systems like Evo home and you can control it all via an App and since you are working from home tax deductable

I think you'd struggle claiming that was an essential expense, and would I expect be considered a 'building alteration' which are explicitly excluded?

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your replies. It’s a relief to know I’m not damaging system.

I turn all TRVs to low with the exception of the room Im working in. I take the thermostat into the room where Im working and set it to a comfortable temperature.

You should turn the TRV in the room you are working in up to maximum whilever the room thermostat is in there. Otherwise you could end up with the TRV closing down and lowering the flow rate through the radiator, meanwhile if the room thermostat (that has the boiler interlock) is still calling for heat, it will keep the boiler and pump running unnecessarily against a closed or partially closed radiator TRV.

Normally this is why there wouldn't be a TRV fitted to the radiator in the room where the room thermostat was permanently located. If you have two devices trying to do the same thing in the same room, one will interfere with the operation of the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back