trying to find old cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have moved to an old inn built in the 1600's and up until 1970's had a cellar. The cellar has been filled up and the entrance concreted in. I have drilled a few holes deep through the floor and managed to push a pipe nearly 3 metres down. However the whole floor is quarry tiles with ash underneath so I cant find where the opening was. looking at the quarrys they are all at least 100 years old and none that look disturbed or relaid.

It is my intention to reopen the cellar and make use of it, or at least try to reclaim the original stone windows cills I like to think may be down their. These were removed in the 1970's refit.

Are there any scanners I could hire/buy (if cheap enough) to scan the floor and make out the shape of the cellar below?.

I have tried to ask previous drinkers and locals but no one has come up with anything useful and the old brewery have ignored me (I thought they might)

Thanks for any help or ideas

Sponsored Links
Have you tried searching outside the perimeter for signs of a delivery hatch or similar as most inns or pubs had an external route in for the barrel deliveries? Another likely place may be under an existing staircase as they often built them below one another and the cellar access may be below any current staircase. Failing that I would favour making a new hole in an unobtrusive spot just to gain access and search from below. Careful removal of the tiles would mean they can be relaid afterwards.

Google inspection scope rental :idea: You`ll find something that`ll go through a hole , light up the room and maybe you could also get a "sonic tape measure" down to gauge size of room . If you`re in Sussex- I`ll be in for a pint ;)

Thanks for your replies, ive looked all round the building dug holes where I thought maybe stairs, studied all the outside stone trying to pin point something, I think that it has been extended many times, most recent in 1890's with red brick to the rear, there is also external style lintels above a door in the middle of the house so I have tryed to work out the original layout but its just impossible to know whats what !.

When I put my pipe down it seem to be very sandy in the room, have since been told it may have been filled with sand, as a there has been a recent find somewhere of an old pumping house under ground and filled in with sand. - not sure if it likely or not.

Sorry Nige F the bars gone now !! :eek: and Im in Northants :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ask Time Team to investigate. (Tell them there's Anglo Saxon remains under there... ;) )

Brewery still might be worth a shot, one of the draymen may remember delivering to the place, and give you an idea of where the external extrance for the dray was.

Local History society (if there is one) may have photo's? Try the locals, if it was filled in as recently as the 1970's someone may remember something. If you're near NN10 I can supply some possible contacts who may have a wealth of info on the history of the place.

Why would it have been filled in?

Seems odd to lose what is a critical area for a pub without good reason. Filling with sand would seem strange too, expensive and time consuming if all was needed was to tile over a hatch?

Flooding? Buried spouses? Ghosts?

There's often a hatch down to cellars from the bar area too.

Bet your bottom dollar it will have been filled in with all the debris and crap from the various renovations over the years.

cant you excavate whats been filled in? I;m with freddys twin, i bet it's like a skip down there

might have been filled in because it was excessively damp and couldn't be cured.

old pubs used to like a damp cellar because it kept the beer cool, round here some have streams running across the cellar floor (and flood after heavy rain)

Hugh Jaleak, im based at NN15 not sure where NN10 is, ive tried the brewery but as yet have been ignored.

I imagine that it is pretty damp down there, and full of rubbish from the refurb, as im missing a few bits like stone window cills etc angled bricks all from when the refurb was done so hopefully they are there!!

There was a new 'beer cellar' created on ground floor. It also seems the bar has moved from one side to another.

Part of me (and my wife) wants to leave it alone but curiosity wants to have a look.

It was owned by Charles Wells and it is they who carried out the 1970's refurb after purchasing it from watney manns.

[/quote]

Letter to the local paper.

"Do you remember drinking in the ....? Current owner would like to hear your memories ..."

Hi Burntwire
I know this is some years after your original message, but I was wondering did you ever excavate your cellar, what did you find, where is the access? We are now in your situation and wondering whether we should be getting excited for excavation or not!

I found this very interesting too. I'd love to know what was down there, assuming he's been successful.

Possibly a load of treasure, more likely a load of damp, dodgy fill material used to top it all out. Might be best to leave the concrete cap in place and extend into the attic instead.

... a lot of cellars were filled in because they were damp, smelly and horrible. Often contained standing water. Rendered obsolete by the advent of refrigerators. Under stairs would be a first port of call to find blocked off passageway - if one dares to go digging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back