Trying to fit cistern to pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a cistern with integrated sink, which by default comes with a downpipe. But we wanted this fitted to a closed coupled toilet, so bought an adapter kit. Thing is, we just cant get it watertight. No matter how we set this up, water is pouring from the join between the cistern and the pan, so I'm assuming we might have picked up the wrong adapter...

I'v attached a picture of what we've got to work with.

The opening into the pan is 70mm. The opening out of the cistern is just over 55mm.

Any help with this would be massively appreciated, as it's got me stumped.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your pic does not show how you are assembling the kit. It does however show what looks like a rubber washer below the plastic nut on the float valve ( fill valve ). This valve should have a rubber seal INSIDE the cistern ,and on the outside the nut. Maybe this is where the leak is. If it is ,it will leak when the cistern fills and before any flush. If you actually do have a seal inside the cistern ,on the fill valve ,as well as one outside ,and the leak is only when you flush ,then your problem is with the flush valve kit. Take pic of it assembled and post another pic. Regards Terry

Don`t see how you are going to clamp the cistern to the pan.

Check assembly drawing of this section.

Sponsored Links
Assuming its doable at all, and I have my doubts as that looks like a concealed cistern, then:

1. Undo the big white nut holding the flush valve into the cistern.
2. put the metal plate over the end of the flush valve shank and replace the white nut. Tighten up. (There should be a rubber washer between the base of the flush valve and the inside base of the cistern, this makes the water seal).
3. Push the rubber "doughnut" over the flush valve shank and over the big white nut. Smaller side of cone down towards pan.
4. Fit the bolts with a square under the head (not in your picture but should be there) into the slots in the metal plate.
5. Put cistern onto pan with threaded part of bolts through small holes either side of back of pan.
6. Put washers onto thread, then wing nut and tighten. Do up each side a small amount at a time once reasonably tight to spread load evenly.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm a complete beginner here, but @oldbuffer, your explanation has helped a lot. The valve has a rubber washer on the inside, so that should keep it water tight.... But, it turned out we've got the wrong size coupling plate - 55mm hole... we need 60mm, so I had no idea it needed to fit over the push valve shank. I've ordered a replacement, so hopefully it should be straight forward now!

Sorry for what probably seemed like a very dumb question!

Or 'send me an invoice and I will pay it when I return from from my Summer holiday in the South of France'.

Wait 2,3 or 4 weeks. Sending various texts and emails, then get a text back saying 'sorry, I thought I paid this, I will paid it after next months payday'.

Note to self: Not working for them again!!!! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

But I must admit that I love the chase.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back