Trying to paint windows but dirty elastic surrounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wanting to paint my window sills and ledge but have noticed there is a thin, black elastic/rubber adhesive where the window meets the frame. Clearly it's only black because the windows haven't been cleaned in years but I can't seem to clean them I've tried soap and water as well as white vinegar and bleach.

Should I just paint over them or will the dirt contaminate my paint brush?

Also you can see from the wideest shot that the ledge is split level and the higher level (the bit closest to the window) is some form of plastic. I can't tell if it's painted or not so should I paint it along with everything else?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but would say you want to scrape out the discoloured sealant and redo it, it will just grow back if you paint it.

Sponsored Links
+2 that's not glue it's the window fitters favourite - silicone (n) scrape it off carefully and clean the plastic with a special plastic/garden furniture cleaner - also as said don't paint plastic. And don't replace the silicone - those "fitters" just smear it everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back