Tumble dryer belt - very old machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My mother loves her Hotpoint Liberator DeLuxe tumble dryer. Model 1701 from the mid 70's(!). It broke for the first time ever - belt snapped. I managed to get an original part and tried to fit it but it's too loose. You have to stretch these belts a bit, yes? I got it round the drum and the motor with ease... Although I could 'work' it by hand, there was no spinning to be seen when I switched it on.

I'm wondering if I've fitted it properly. Can anyone confirm that the belt goes round the motor as per the white line in the attached pic?

Also, you can see that the dryer has a tiny belt as well as the main one. Can someone explain how this system actually works?

My thanks for any advice offered.

belt path dryer.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a bit vague to see from your illustration.....did you compare the new belt length with the old one?
There's a possibility the belt goes around the other side of that tensioner.
John :)

No, but that's a good idea, thanks. If the tensioner is the black plastic wheel on the right, I can't see how the belt might go round 'the other side'. Can you expand? Thanks!

I think the belt leaves the steel pulley (the one driven by the motor) and turns upwards over the top of the tensioner, rather than running on the underside as you have it here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi jj4091. It does help, in that it prompted me to look again for a fitting diagram. (I failed the first time and the Service Manual basically says 'now fit the belt...). I've just found a page about Mother's exact model:
http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?53429
which has the attached picture. Turns out my path is wrong. Oddly, however, both the Service Manual and the lad in the above website mention two springs. Mother's machine has just the one. I hope that won't be a problem when I try again later today...

Many thanks for your input, guys.

hotpoint rebuild.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back