tumble dryer drum scraping case

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a Hotpoint VTD00 on which I have had to replace the rear drum bearing. It now keeps scraping the drum against the rear casing above the motor. I replaced the door bearing pads and then it seemed as if they were acting as brakes on the drum creating a "dragging" noise, so I have had to swap back to the old pads.
Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
These machines quite often get a twist to the chassis when you dismantle and re-build them, they can be a pain to get back square again so they don't catch.
Is the top on properly (fully down on both sides and screwed back on) as this can cause the chassis to twist and allow the drum to catch.

Did you replace the front and rear seals as well and was the drum support shaft in good nic as they do get cut through if the bearing has been allowed to get too bad.

Thanks for that Leccy758; I replaced the shaft as well, but did not do the felt bearings. I understand what you mean by the case distorting as one can cause it to change by applying pressure around the machine. I will have another go tomorrow at ensuring "squarety".

Also you can put a couple of washers on the rear shaft on the inside to push it away from the back.

Sponsored Links
Also you can put a couple of washers on the rear shaft on the inside to push it away from the back.
Now that's an interesting one, as i'd originally put one outside the casing, and what you say would be worth a try, many thanks.

In the replacement shaft kit you should get a washer and that is supposed to go inside the machine on the drum support shaft.
I see a few that have put it on the outside of the casing and this pushes the back inwards instead of out away from the drum.

Certainly I made that error and today put two on the inside and that appears to have solved the problem - once again the forum proves it's worth, many thanks folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back