Tung Oil wood treatment question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to help from a previous thread, I've now got all my shiplap up on my workshop, and need to treat it. Tung Oil was suggested, but given that each coat takes approx 4 days to dry, does it matter if it rains during those 4 days, and if so, how long after application must it stay dry?..

I've been reading that I need quite a few coats, and the chances of getting that many periods of 4 days dry weather are pretty slim!

Would it be better to apply a clear preservative this year which dries much quicker, and go about oiling it next year?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try here under 'garden'. They have various products that can help you with the job.

personally i would apply the preservative first in any case, it doesn't take long to dry.

I've had the wood vac treated, so the preservative would be a water repellant one..

Sponsored Links
ellal said:
given that each coat takes approx 4 days to dry, does it matter if it rains during those 4 days
No, I think the only time it takes 4 days to dry when you put it on 100% neat and depending on weather temperature. I use 50/50 tung oil/white spirit to start with which speed it up to dry. I have done my bay windows this year for the first time and it rain the next day after the first coat and was amazed the ring mark water effect on the wood, so I wouldn't worry about it. For my summerhouse which is a larger job to do I use the paint pad & tray which is a lot quicker.
About £7 in Homebase.
B0001GRVQ4.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

So, I've decided to stick with the Tung Oil option..I gave a first coat today of 50/50 - oil/white spirit, and it became 'touch dry' quite quickly. Just to make sure that tonight's forecast showers don't affect it, I've put a plastic sheet around the workshop with an airgap (praying for no gales), so I guess a second coat will be OK tomorrow then..

I'll do another 50/50 coat, and then another with a 75/25, followed by a 'neat oil' coat. Does that sound about right?

From what you've said, masona, I guess the last coat is the one that needs the max drying time..

ps..working with the oil is great (no jokes please.. :LOL: ) - so much better that painting on a varnish etc, and the natural colour looks good..

You can just heat the oil before you put it on. About 60 deg C os ok. This will make it thinner and you won't need the white spirit.

oilman said:
You can just heat the oil before you put it on. About 60 deg C os ok. This will make it thinner and you won't need the white spirit.
Didn't know that, any tips of keeping it warm to prevent heat loss?

Maybe a old thermo flask or metal kettle?

I suppose you could dangle a can in a bucket of hot water, or you could put it on cold with a brush, then heat it up using a hot air gun. I found this out from Holkham Paints, they use the technique for linseed oil.

oilman said:
I suppose you could dangle a can in a bucket of hot water
Tried that..a pain to keep warm, but good on a chilly day.. :D

But back to the number of coats. Would 4 suffice, or should I do more?

cheers

Don't go oiling on a chilly day. It's a warm weather job. 4 coats would do to start.

masona said:

You can get glue pots for keeping animal glue warm. It's like a kettle for the water with about a 1 pint pot that sits inside. It keeps warm for ages. I think Axminster do an electric version as well.

oilman said:
Don't go oiling on a chilly day. It's a warm weather job. 4 coats would do to start.
will that give good protection for the winter?.. I assume I should then add a couple of coats in the spring/summer each year

petewood said:
masona said:

You can get glue pots for keeping animal glue warm. It's like a kettle for the water with about a 1 pint pot that sits inside. It keeps warm for ages. I think Axminster do an electric version as well.
Yes, you're right, have sent them an e-mail as the Traditional Glue Pot is not available anymore and the electric glue pot setting is between 140-150 C which is a bit too hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back