Turfing in time for June??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed-And-Never-Questioned has set 3rd June as the deadline to have the garden sorted for the gathering of the clan to celebrate my son's 21st. Not sure why a hotel or similar venue isn't an option, but hey-ho! Anyway, two-part problem paving/flagging the patio area (currently concreted) and "New Grass". The first part I can comfortably deal with - I reckon - but the grass bit is beginning to scare me. Only today has she come to accept that it can't be sowed and cared for in time (2 months!), so turfing is the only practical option. So to my question ...
Once I've cut off the old, baldy, moss-riden turf, and then rotavated and levelled the soil, do I need to lay any top soil before laying the new turf? If so, how much would I need? The grassed area of the garden is 85sq m.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ged

Sponsored Links
depends on teh qaulity of lawn you want and how well you rotovate whats there and how good the soil is. if you put down some levelling sandy loam then 3-4 inches will give a very good result

I need to replace my lawn also as the weeds are geting worse, and the top soil is very poor.

You could hire a turf stripper to remove the existing lawn. It might also be a good idea to add some more top soil, along with sharp sand for drainage. Grass can grow better on sandy soil.

Dont leave it too late though. When hot sunny weather arrives then the new turf will dry out and might start to die off. Hence why turf should be laid in spring or Autumn. Get it started now and it will look fabulous by 3rd June.

Im waiting until Autumn to do mine as I have a 3yr old son who I want to enjoy playing on the garden this summer. If I turfed now I wouldnt want him running about on it this summer, until the turf had rooted with the top soil.

Thanks Both!
Thermo, to one of the Great-Unwashed when it com es to this kind of thing, how much would 3inches constitute in tons for the 85 sq.m?

Cheers,
Ged

Sponsored Links
depending how uneven the existing one is youre looking at a about 6m3 to give it a good covering. If the existing soil is not bad, then you could go down to a couple of inches which is about 4m3

Interesting saying start it off now, normally I'd say yes now was a good time, but lawns around us haven't started growing yet, due to the harsh winter. Have a look around you and see if grass round you has started growing. Laying a load of turf just to have it frozen, is as bad a laying it mid summer without extensive irrigation.

The ONLY issue as regards timing is, can you stay off it for a few weeks until it is all rooted and firm? Lay in frost, snow or sun.

Don't forget to water really well once a week through the summer(use a sprinkler) after turfing, you'd be surprised how quick it dries out, particularly around the edges.

only time we dont lay is if its snowing or the ground is frosted, otherwise we lay it. youll be amazed how much turf grows even in the middle of winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back