Turn kitchen cabinet hinged door into a sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my kitchen base units is quite close to the washing machine.

It means that one door can be opened fully but the other can't be, apart from a couple of inches maximum

Because of this the items behind this door cannot be reached with ease, so I removed the door.

This has been fine until we got a dog and she wants to go in the cupboard, which has cleaning sprays in. So re-instated the door

There is a lot of space next to the base unit, which would allow for the door to slide across to allow access into the cupboard.

There's quite a few different door sliders on the market and don't know which to choose

Has anyone got any experience in turning a hinged kitchen door into a sliding door? and if so what kind of sliding mech do I need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
have you got a picture please
there are no systems that will work flush on the surface
the easiest are a runner top and bottom for the door to sit in within the frame off the unit
with the door cut down to fit

As you can see the door is off it's hinges so that we can get to stuff in that section of the unit.

However, there is a good 50cm deadspace to the right that the door could slide into

It doesn't have to be flush or even that pretty, just functional and practical

Thanks

First of all, sack your kitchen designer.

Second, can you not reach around from the left hand side once it is open without opening (or trying to open) the right? Why not put stuff on the right that seldom (if ever) needs retrieval?

Sorry but I can't provide the solution you are after, but maybe side-step the issue?

Sponsored Links
the best i can think off is a lift out door
with say a small pocket to hold the far end off the door and say 2 roller catches this end
by pocket i mean timber to support the face and bottom off the far end
and roller catches as opposed to magnetic catches as they will give full support iff the machine vibrates the door

Thanks for all the ideas

I am going to try the carousel idea, which the wife will probably second

As for kitchen designer.....I would have to divorce her :)

Ah I just had a thought.....

the kitchen sink trap, I don't think the carousel will clear it. Unless I used just the bottom shelf but as you can see from the photos there's a lot of stuff in the cupboard

I think a sliding door will solve the problem but don't know what sort of runners I would need

Any suggestions?

So the sink is in this unit? You really DO need to sack the designer!

To be honest I can't see how any kind of sliding door would work as access to that end of the unit seems to be obstructed by the washing machine.

What is to the right of the washing machine? If you can give us a wider view of the kitchen layout perhaps there are other possibilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back