Sliding doors.. thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about installing a sliding door between my kitchen and utility. At the minute the door opens into my kitchen (which already has a lot of doors) and I think it would look a bit bigger with a sliding door. I see they're quite popular now from pictures online but I haven't actually used one since I was a child... and that sliding door would come away from the wall at the bottom and feel quite unstable.

Does anyone have a sliding door? Does it feel flimsy as if it may fall off? Should I avoid using it in a place where it gets a lot of traffic?

Here is an example of what I would like http://www.eclisse.co.uk/barolo-barn-door-sliding-door-system/

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is it a stud wall? - Have you thought about pocket doors.
internal-double-pocket-doors-oak-glazed-jbk-montana-matterhorn-285301.jpg

Is it a stud wall? - Have you thought about pocket doors.
internal-double-pocket-doors-oak-glazed-jbk-montana-matterhorn-285301.jpg
Not for this door as I’m not sure we are going to keep that wall in long term when we renovate the kitchen plus I don’t think there’d be enough room either side.

I am thinking about pocket doors for between the lounge and dining room/ between the lounge and eventual kitchen-diner at some stage. This is a little way off but would you recommend? Are they sturdy?

Sponsored Links
the trouble you will have is the same number off doors but now you also need a blank wall space so less useable area:rolleyes:

We used to have a sliding door, and there was a channel on the bottom of the door, with a pin from the floor going into it stopping the bottom moving away. That worked well to support the door and it felt nice and solid. Living with the door though we found it cumbersome and heavy to use compared to a normal hinged door so it hardly ever got closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back