Turning a bedrrom into a bedroom/bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I have a large double bedroom. The bathroom is currently situated downstairs and is not ideal. Ild like to divide the large bedroom into a small double bedroom and a bathroom (not ensuite).

I should be able to run the waste pipe over the stairs, through the back bedroom and into the stack on the rear.

Is there anything I should bare in mind when doing this conversion? I will be hiring builders to do the job, but are there any questions I should be asking them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
what size are the joists and what length is the run??
is there a toilet??

There will be a toilet, a bath (with shower) and basin. The run (the pipe from bathroom to the outside stack?) will be about 15 foot. Im not sure on the size of the joists! Ill get back to you on that.

I'm in the process of doing this at the moment. I've had to sister all the joists to take the increased load.

If you can, put a stack to the side of the house - the thought of running a soil pipe through the house not only makes me uncomfortable but also remember you can't have it flat, so by the time you've gone from one side to the other I strongly expect you'll be above or beneath joist height at one/both ends.

With a soil pipe at the side to can then go straight out the side wall from the toilet, avoiding boxing in which I suspect will already be a fairly small bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Be aware what your doing is controlled Building Work & requires a Building Notice submission, inspection & possible witness testing by BI; you will need to produce a certificate of compliance for the work when you come to sell up. You will also need an extractor fan & any stud partition you create between a room with a w/c installed & another habitable room (the bedroom) must be sound insulated. There are also restrictions on the maximum length of unvented waste run & the run itself needs to comply with Building Regulations. Any electrical work must be carried out by a Part P registered spark or be included on your Building Notice & subject to inspection if you’re going to DIY it; you will also need a minor electrical works/test certificate on completion.

Geps: Im in a mid terrace, so I have no option but to channel the waste pipe to the back of the house. The builder had a look at it and didnt seem to think there would be an issue with joists getting in the way (the joists run from front to back).

Richard: Thanks. I presume the builder will know all this? Im also going to check if they have all the right builders insurance policies and maybe a portfolio of past work. This is the first time Ive done anything like this and dont mind having a go at minor stuff, but I know my limits.

In regards to sound insulation, Ive used Rockwool before, do you recommend anything else?

Geps: Im in a mid terrace, so I have no option but to channel the waste pipe to the back of the house. The builder had a look at it and didnt seem to think there would be an issue with joists getting in the way (the joists run from front to back).
Well that may tell you something about the builder but without seeing it I don’t know. As already stated finding a route through & getting the required fall is going to be your biggest problem. The waste run & connections it must comply with BR’s including accessibility to clear blockages or the BI will never pass it.

I presume the builder will know all this? Im also going to check if they have all the right builders insurance policies and maybe a portfolio of past work. This is the first time Ive done anything like this and dont mind having a go at minor stuff, but I know my limits.
It’s very dangerous to presume anything. The onus to comply with Buildign Regs & notify the work unfortunately rests with you not the builder & unless you stipulate in his contract that he is to be responsible for the Building Notice submission, arrange for relevant inspections/tests & ensure the work complies with building regulations, many will be inclined not to bother; unfortunately many “so called” builders won’t even know what the regulations are.

In regards to sound insulation, Ive used Rockwool before, do you recommend anything else?
To board the stud you need to use Wallboard 10 or Soundblock not ordinary wall board but in wet areas you should line the stud with waterproof tile backer board & use MR on the bathroom side; do not plaster the areas that are being tiles. The stud must be lined with a minimum 20mm of mineral wool insulation; I actually use cavity insulation bats.

Thanks for your comments Richard, very interesting.
Ive just been looking at macerators. This might be the solution to run waste to the stack.

I would only advise a macerator as a last resort. They can be unreliable particularly if there are children around who like to throw the odd dinosaur or even “wet ones” down the loo; I’ll leave it to your imagination what a joy it is clearing a blockage in one!

Have you checked if there is a foul drain run at the front of the terrace you can get into? A new stack either outside or internally & boxed would be better. On no account allow your builder start cutting joists to find a way through to the back.

Ive just been looking at macerators. This might be the solution to run waste to the stack.
It isn't.

If the only option is a macerator, then don't bother with the bathroom at all.

This might seem harsh, but it isn't a question of IF the thing blocks up, but when. Doesn't matter how careful you are, it will seize up. Usually due to hair being washed down the plughole, which with a shower or bath cannot be avoided.
To add to the entertainment, when it breaks, whatever you just flushed down the loo will reappear from the bath / shower plughole.

Hi guys,
The builder is coming out to take another look at it. He's coming out with another chap - between them they can do the plumbing and electrical work.

Where do I start with building regs and Building Notice submission? Im completely new to this and Im sure theres a lot more involved than I think there is. Does dealing with building inspectors involve lots of time and money?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back