Turning a solvent-welded soil stack tee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a two storey house. The soil stack is internal and constructed with solvent welded joints. It runs from the ground up into the cloakroom where there is a loo and basin, then on up to the upper floor where it passes through the bathroom (loo, basin, bath) and then through the loft, through the roof tiles with a lead-flashing and terminates in some sort of caged cap. It is boxed-in.

In redesigning the upstairs bathroom I need to turn the existing toilet "tee" by 90 degrees. I assume that will mean cutting the pipe above and below the tee then fitting a new tee and a short length of pipe to match the bit removed. I assume that would also mean supporting the pipe above the tee so as not to disturb the waterproofing round the roof tile hole. (I also need to boss in a new shower in addition to the above mentioned waste pipes but thats a whole other question....).

There are no further bosses into the pipe above the upstairs toilet. Would it be permissible to terminate the stack with something like an air admittance valve somewhere above the highest flood level (basin) within the boxing in the bathroom? That way I could get rid of the need for the rest of the pipe above that, and get a new tile fitted on the roof in place of the one with the hole and flashing?

The roof angle is so low (22 degrees) that it is impossible to reach the pipe or modify it in the loft, it is literally right by the eaves, which is why I wonder if it can be done within the boxing in the bathroom.

There may seem to be no advantage to doing all this. But from my (naive?) point of view it would seem that I can:
1) get rid of a bit of ugly boxing
2) not worry about preventing disturbance of the pipe above the joints being made
3) perhaps use push-fit rather than solvent weld for the new bits

If it can be done, do I need to involve any council officers?

Thanks for any comments you make!
Fleabag

Sponsored Links
You can use push fit no problems there. Wouldnt worry about the Council, its only altering slightly what you already have. I would beware of removing the current vent arrangement though, it may lead to problems. AAV's are ok provided there is an alternative vent elsewhere on the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back