Solvent weld pipe cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to repair some bodged work at my stepson's today.

----------- ignore the rant if you want

His bath had been leaking at the trap and draining very slowly.

After removing the build up of tile adhesive from the trap (deposited their by the RatedPeople thieving d!ck of a "builder") I decided to check the state of the solvent weld pipe that runs in a boxed section section to the basin and then on to the soil pipe.

All of a sudden the pipe came free of the basin tee join.

No option but to lever of the tiles on the box section. They came away quite easily, infact too easily. It seems that Toby Smith of Harefield, who claims that tiling is his forte, doesn't realise that plasterboard needs to be sealed beforehand..

The fact that the plasterboard was damp helped a lot...

I then discovered that someone (not sure who) had never glued the pipe in to the solvent weld tee. Which explains why it fell out.

--------------- end of rant

Not having anticipated the need for solvent weld, I didn't take any with me.

Being a Sunday, and being in an area that I don't know, I decided to check the websites of the main retailers, namely, Wickes, Screwfix and Toolstation.

All of them sold solvent weld adhesive, none of them sold the cleaning fluid.

In the end I went to wickes and purchased the adhesive and a bottle of Evostick adhesive cleaner.

Is the general consensus that you don't need to use the cleaner or has it become a "restricted" product?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK cleaner hasn't been specced for low pressure solvent weld pipes for a long time - but it can't hurt that you cleaned an old pipe ;)

Sponsored Links
I've never used cleaner on waste pipework, if joining to an existing pipe I've used a file/glass paper/emery cloth/wire wool to clean any paint off, and roughen up the surface to give a glue a chance. Never had one leak yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back