Removing solvent welded pipes - how?

KillingTime said:
I'm on my 10th company to date with only 3 having sent in a figure.
This is a bit of a hobby horse of mine. I know that consumer associations and advisors always advocate getting several quotes, but my view from the other side of the fence is that this is a Very Bad Idea. Consider this:

Option 1: You canvas family, friends and colleagues for names of a reputable tradesman/company; one that they would be happy to recommend unconditionally. You engage that tradesman/company, asking for an estimate of the likely cost so that you can budget properly.

Option 2: You ask previously unknown (to you) tradesmen/companies for quotes, and engage the one that is cheapest/friendliest/least dodgy-looking etc..

In option 2, the losing quoters have utterly wasted their time. If every customer asked for, and received, three quotations for every job, then each job would entail two companies doing work for nothing. And yet, time has to be paid for, which is why labour rates have to be high.

It's for this reason that I never quote, except where an insurance company insists, and only then for existing customers. It wouldn't be an efficient way to run my business, and I would have to charge more for the work that I do.

Sponsored Links
I'd be happy to pay for a decent quote, if tradesman didn't take the p*ss.

In Britain there is no mandatory regulation for plumbing. You can DIY on a bathroom and not have to inform building control. Only one of the fitters that I called were members of a standards body (Guild of Master Craftsmen). Those blokes quoted, but were very expensive.

I doesn't help that every single one of the companies I called would not give tell me what their hourly rate was. They only quote for the job. Without getting them out to see, how am I meant to gauge what it's going to cost?

I've seen allot of vitriol about Part P electrics. Initially, I though this was another ploy by Prescott and 'jobs for the boys'. After having dealt with bathrooms, I see part P as a godsend. If you want major electrical work done, then you have to be part of a standards body like BSI or NICEIC to self certify. In other words, it's something to judge the competence of the tradesman by, what he's capable of, and that helps set a rate for the work.

There will always be competent tradesman that are not certified - good luck to them - quite how I'm meant to find these people given that every man and his dog in the same business say's he's just as good as the next is beyond me.

I'm lucky people have helped me on this forum. Before I bought this house, I knew nothing about how to do stuff properly. In the course of getting the bathroom fitters out to quote, I ascertain their competence myself by teasing information out of them. I already know the answer to the questions, I just want to find out if they do. I've been told all sorts.

I've begun to see that most fitters have 'their' way of doing things. If you want it done differently, then they're not interested. Some don't like fitting wediboard, others have not even heard of 'tanking'. Some don't touch plastering or tiling. Others only touch the plumbing and out-source everything else.

In Britain, you could pay £20 hour , or £200 hour for the same job. It's down to you to find the quote that's right. If tradesman don't want the hassle of limitless quotes, a bit more transparency would be in order.

Fair comments, but I did suggest that an estimate should be requested and provided in the case of a non-quoting scenario.

Regarding transparency, I wholeheartedly agree - my customers all know my hourly rate, which is the same at any time of the day and any day of the week/year.

It works both ways though...

I once did a three hour job for a lady to whom I'd been recommended. At the end of it, when I said "that'll be three hours at £x per hour", she nearly fainted, because it turned out that her friend had told her that I'd probably do the job for £36. In total! :rolleyes:

She was reluctant to pay more, so I was forced to take responsibility for not making my rate clear at the outset. I don't return her calls anymore.

then you have to be part of a standards body like BSI or NICEIC to self certify. In other words, it's something to judge the competence of the tradesman by, what he's capable of, and that helps set a rate for the work.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

worth about as much as being CORGI and paying the dog every year :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back