Turning a toilet 90 degrees - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's house with separate toilet and bathroom. I want to knock through to create a larger single bathroom. To get the space I need for a shower, I need to turn the toilet 90 degrees. This will mean having to direct the waste 90 degrees horizontally towards the external wall. IS this Ok and how much distance will I need to have the toilet away from the wall in order to allow enough space for the horizontal u-bend to work OK.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the technical drawings of your chosen suite (e.g. http://www.armitage-shanks.co.uk/files/accolade_ccwc.jpg) These often show the clearance required for various outlet configurations.
There is usually about 150mm or so, which will accommodate a 90 degree pan connector.

A common problem when moving a WC is the height of the outlet, and maintaining sufficient fall on the pipework (1 in 40) if you are extending it. Consider putting the pan on a small wooden plinth if this is a problem.

many thanks! These forums are always a great help and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I had a look at the link you sent - it seems as if the u-bend is accommodated within the confines of the cistern i.e if the toilet cistern is fitted against the wall there will still be sufficient clearance for the u-bend, irrespective of the configuration. Am I interpreting this correctly? When you say 150mm is required - do you mean 150mm between the wall and the cistern would be required (assuming a close-coupled toilet)?

The clearance available behind the pan outlet when the cistern is against the wall does vary between designs of WCs. The one i quoted was just as a general example. Generally there will be enough room, but there's always the chance there may be an oddball or two about somewhere, so it's best to check the actual dimensions of the pan you intend to install before you buy.

It may be possible to add a bit of 'boxing in' behind the cistern of a close coupled WC to gain an odd inch or two if you get really stuck, or consider using a 'swan neck' pan connector. Best to measure everything carefully at least twice before you start.

:confused: Funny thing is I never measure anything twice, It's either once or three times. If I try twice, I get two different answers. As I don't know which one is right, I end up measuring it all a third time :confused:

:LOL: You could always try wandering around the likes of B&Q, picking up a few bits and pieces from the plumbing section, then trying them out for size on one of their bathroom displays - the worst they can do is throw you out of the store :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back