Turning off water to 1 Radiator - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to remove a 'standard' rad and replace it with a towel heater. I've not done this before so the job may take me a little while, so can anyone advise me how best to close off the water supply to this rad while I fit the new radiator in place? I also need to do some tiling behind the radiator so it will be a day or 2 before the new rad is connected

I've got an 'open' system which is fed by a expansion cistern/tank in the loft. I also need to attach a bit more copper to each pipe entering the rad so it sits a bit higher off the floor.

If I just put a bung in the bottom of this tank, will this stop water coming through, giving me time to at least put closed valves or stop ends on until the other work is done?

Will having a single rad effectively closed off have any affect on the rest of the system (it's all a loop isn't it?).

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I don't want to have the system drained down if I can help it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
you should have either a 15mm or 22mm gate valve (red top) somewhere, usually in airing cupboard that is on the cold fill to the system. Shutting this (if it still works!) will stop water entering system.

To take the towel rail off just close both valves fully and drain towel rail. If you want to extend pipes then you can either drain down system, freeze both pipes or work live if tiled floor and get very wet :LOL: Cant use solder fittings if you do either of last two!

Hi, thanks for the speedy reply.

The gate valve feeding the tank is kaput - the red top is missing and the previous occupants (or bad plumber!) seem to have used grips to turn it, leaving it in a pretty bad state. I can still turn it off however if need be. Won't 'bunging' the F+E cistern do the same job?

Either way, once the radiator is removed and I want to extend the pipes, will water still gush out? (I'm suspecting yes, but asking just in case!)

As I don't want to drain down the system (and don't have a tiled floor :) ) is freezing my only option? If so, will push-fit plastic end stops do the trick while I tile, etc?

Lastly (and importantly!), is it safe to turn the heating back on (and re-open the gate valve) while the rad in question is removed and with only end stops on the pipes?

Thanks again

I've got an 'open' system which is fed by a expansion cistern/tank in the loft. I also need to attach a bit more copper to each pipe entering the rad so it sits a bit higher off the floor.

If I just put a bung in the bottom of this tank, will this stop water coming through, giving me time to at least put closed valves or stop ends on until the other work is done?

Remember water will go both ways!

How have you bunged the open vent?

David

Sponsored Links
Weetabix, there is a bung beside the tank in the loft, presumably left by a plumber at some point.

Gas4you - I'd remember to remove the bung before turning on the boiler, but is what I plan to do ok?

Is freezing the pipes my only option? (yet another expense!)

Ta!

Bite the bullet, tie the ball valve up, drain down, move towel rail, extend pipes, fit new gate valve, fill up adding new inhibitor. Proper job done :)

Now if I knew how to do that (drain down & refill), I'd be sorted!! Isn't it an awful lot of work for just extending a couple of pipes?

I'd be scared I'd make an ass of it and flood my house or break something ...aargh!

HOWEVER, if I do try that, is the guide http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/diy/centralheating/draining/draining.html fully comprehensive?

Presumably I'd only need to drain from the drain cock at the downstairs rad and not also from the one at the hot cylinder (so long as I bung the F+E cistern as well)?

If you tie the ball valve up closed you will not need a bung.

You only need to drain from the lowest heating side point. I presume the hot water cylinder drain point is at the bottom of the cylinder and/or on the cold fill to the cylinder. You dont need to touch that.

If you are not sure about anything get someone in. I don't want to see you on the next episode of DIY disaters from hell or the like :LOL:

Thanks for all your help. If I flood the place, I'll just say some stranger broke in and did it while i was out :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back