Turntable and Cassette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my old 1986 Sanyo system with a mini JVC system that has DAB and CD. It also has 2 x AUX inputs, one of which has an Echo connected so I can stream music through its speakers.

I'd like to find a unit combining turntable and cassette that I can connect via the other AUX input, so we can reconnect with our vast vinyl and cassette collection.

I know what you're saying....why bother when you can stream anything over the internet?

Nostalgia, I guess.

The thing is, I'm struggling to find such a unit.

I can find those which are self-contained units, but I don't need that.

Can anyone help me please?

Sponsored Links
Notch is actually right, and this is information that anybody returning to record playing needs to know.

If you buy a modern (post 1990-ish) amplifier it probably won't be suitable for use with a turntable. Turntables do not output a "line level" signal like a CD player or a tuner / DAB.

In the old days before CDs, hi-fi amplifiers had a dedicated (phono) input for turntables and this input was not the same as the inputs for tuners, cassette players or "aux".

To make a traditional turntable work with a modern amp you will need a separate phono pre-amp - you can get cheap ones right up to super-expensive, highly pretentious valve operated ones.

Also...you can't stream just "anything" over the Internet. Internet content can be censored or adulterated, edited, modified, faked etc etc. Stick to the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for cassettes... I don't know if players are still made but I'm sure you could get a second hand one - it might be difficult finding one in good serviceable condition though, as cassettes and their players didn't last long in most peoples' hands! Cassette technology had got really good towards the end though so it is worth exploring.

I doubt you'll find a combined turntable and cassette unit, except for a crappy old "music centre". Stick to separates. If you haven't got enough inputs on your amp you can use a switch box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys.

Can you get a turntable with preamp built in?

I don't have a turntable, most of my music is 'streamed' these days. I would dearly love a Michell Gyrodec', a thing of beauty. I think the first one I saw was in the film Clockwork Orange, Alex may have played a bit of Beethoven on one.

I wouldn't be too concerned about pre amplification or sound quality, I'd probably just look at it.

1527066636_9945.jpg

I don't know about the Sony deck but I found on the net, a Pro-ject Phono box MM pre amp . Allegedly under £70 new. I have a P.J Debut 2 that I want to sell ( having bought a Dual deck ) I'm no hi-fi buff , I just wanted to play the odd 45 without changing the belt drive like on a P-J. Any help to you?

I used to be a hifi buff many years ago, It’s a bit silly but I’ve got a Linn LP12 turntable and Naim pre power amplifier sitting in the loft - been up there for 14 years. I should get them down and flog them really…..hope they aren’t ruined.

The blurb states "built-in phono pre-amp" so yes, it should do. (Or get your money back if it doesn't).

I used to be a hifi buff many years ago,
Did you have a gold-plated 13 amp plug on your hifi? These made it sound better :ROFLMAO:

Did you have a gold-plated 13 amp plug on your hifi? These made it sound better :ROFLMAO:
Ahhh, but I bet it didn't come with a high end fuse!!! :rolleyes:

Fuses are directional?

If it doesn't sound good, put the fuse in the other way round!

How do they get away with this sho1te?

Seriously, if TS bought one and broke it down, they'd get done for their outrageous claims.

Sponsored Links
Back