TV above radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what section this should be in - but here goes...
Because of the configuration of my daughter's flat, the best place for her TV is above a radiator - plug points and aerial point nearby. The radiator is an electric storage heater type. What I'm thinking is building a 'bookcase' type structure (sides and top) around the radiator for the TV to sit on. I'm thinking of lining the underside of the shelf with foil to reflect heat.
What I'm concerned about is whether there'll be any adverse effect on the TV being above the heat.
Has anyone come across this situation before or have any advice for me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So long as you make sure the Heater is always switched OFF,

Electrical Components do not like excess heat.

I would personally put them as high above the heater as possible just to be on the safe side, where I work there are two tv's above rads and they have been fine for 3 years now even at home I have mine above an electric fire about 3ft above

I have just asked a tech bloke and he says it would be absolutely fine, if you can put your hand there and it don't burn then its fine

Sponsored Links
The shelf will divert the air current away from the TV so should be fine.The deeper the better.Electric heaters are also fairly easy to relocate.

The shelf will divert the air current away from the TV so should be fine.The deeper the better.Electric heaters are also fairly easy to relocate.

The OP stated that its an Electric Storage Heater which are normally a fixed item,
I would have thought it depends on the heat given out by the heater as to how hot the shelf would get, All the handbooks I`ve had for TV`s, DvD players, Video Players etc all say do not place near any source of heat and allow free movement of air to circulate around the appliance.

The OP stated that its an Electric Storage Heater which are normally a fixed item,
I would have thought it depends on the heat given out by the heater as to how hot the shelf would get, All the handbooks I`ve had for TV`s, DvD players, Video Players etc all say do not place near any source of heat and allow free movement of air to circulate around the appliance.

The shelf may get warm below but no more, the tv will have a stand so no heat will be anywhere near the TV. Have relocated many storage heaters, they sit on legs and have a power supply, easy move a few feet to one side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back