TV Aerial problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an issue with my tv aerial i hope someone can help me with.

The property we have moved into has an aerial on the roof which is cabled down to a splitter box (supposedly under the floor somewhere - I have no idea why)

The property is a bungalow.

For some reason all the tv points have stopped working.

The floors have either laminate or carpet covering so cant really investigate that way to see if its the splitter connection, and the hatch to access the subfloor must have been covered over so cannot access that unless cut a new hatch.

There is a cable from the aerial which comes through the roof into the loft, then disappears, would there be any way of attaching a cable at that point and re routing to the tv downstairs?

Would it be best to test the aerial to see if it is working?

The tv points were all working, but just stopped, I am at a loss what to do,is there a method of testing if the aeriel is the problem?

Any suggestions welcome

Sponsored Links
Most likely there is a mains powered amplifier somewhere that has gone down: maybe in the loft?

If all the points have packed up, that's the most likely cause, I would think.

Thanks securespark,

I think there is an amplifier in the loft, I will check tonight.

It just says on the screen 'weak or no signal' or 'no channels stored'

Would the amplifier be showing a red light if not working or give any indication of being faulty or is it a case of replacing it?

Thought you said cable came into the roof and the vanished? If it goes past a distribution amplifier, that's the first thing to check.

Take a TV up into the loft, and try the aerial directly into it.

Can you take a photo of what's in the loft?

Have you moved any TV's or disconnected anything recently?

Sponsored Links
Sorry maybe I wasnt entirely clear, the cable comes into the loft space, and I remember seeing a box on the wall in the passing so to speak (only been in the loft about 3 times as not long moved in) then the cable disappears down the wall to the habitable level of the bungalow.

I can take a photo yes.

I know this probably seems a REALLY basic question but when you say take a tv up and plug cable in directly, will it be the cable that comes into the loft from outside and plugs into the amplifier?

I have laid a new laminate floor in the kitchen, as mentioned, I am unaware where this splitter box is but believe it to be under the floor 'somewhere' hopefully not in the kitchen as I was hammering the floor etc, dont know if that could have dislodged a cable

Did it stop working at the same time you were doing this hammering?

If so you may be about to get a salutary lesson covering one of the less agreeable features of laminate flooring.

will it be the cable that comes into the loft from outside and plugs into the amplifier?

Yes.

The cable from the outside will plug into the incoming socket of the amp.

Unplug that and pop it directly into the back of a TV you know works.

Then if you get a decent signal, you know it's OK and you can move on down the line.

You haven't had a digital switch-over by any chance?? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back