TV aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all…I am decorating a flat I bought and need some advice on tv aerials. There is currently an aerial point in the lounge that is located at the front of the flat - looks like there is trunking/wiring running the whole way down the building with a separate feed to each flat - ie. Basically installing a new feed from the aerial is not an option for me. I want to have an aerial point in each of the bedrooms. I have extended the original aerial into one bedroom and hidden wire behind new skirting. (In the lounge there is a sky feed which I will use). Now I don't know what to do to give the 2nd bedroom an aerial point. I bought one of those splitter packs, but it sounds like I need an amp? I have made a hole in the wall between the 2 bedrooms, so was planning to run the wire into 1 bedroom, use a y-splitter to make 2 feeds out of 1, then put one feed thru the wall into the second bedroom, and then hide everything behind skirting. Reason for doing this was that I wanted everything to be hidden away. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can do this 'neatly' or am I going to have to have a 'box' on show? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on how much signal strength has been allocated to your feeder from the main building distributor. There is normally just enough to run one reciever per flat therefore you will almost certainly need at least a three way output signal amplifier connected at your original output point and feeds to your lounge and the other two to your bedrooms. Even if you are not using the other two, the nature of the signal is that it will automatically divide into three at each output giving poor reception at each one unless you have an amplifier.

tockworth said:
Even if you are not using the other two, the nature of the signal is that it will automatically divide into three at each output giving poor reception at each one unless you have an amplifier.

Some passive splitters are so badly designed that the signal at one outlet can go DOWN if you unplug the cable from the other one. :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you have adequate signal strength and some electronics knowledge, you can build yourself a passive splitter that will deliver one third of the available voltage to each outlet. You'll need a metal box with four coax sockets on it and four resistors inside. That's it! :D :D :D

If you aren't sure of either the signal strength or your abilities with a soldering iron, get a powered splitter (amplifier) with at least three outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back