tv aerial

csh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put a new (well new to me ) digital aerial onto my roof but i don't get a picture when plugged into my tv. I know it is suitable for the area as it was salvaged from a house opposite when the owner moved on.(he gave permision the building is being demolished) any Ideas it has been stored on my shed roof for six months. It seems to be pointing in the same direction as all the others.

Sponsored Links
"plugged into the TV" - are you plugging it directly into

(a) a Freeview digibox

(b) an integrated Digital TV

(c) a regular analogue TV

???

Did the TV work previously with another aerial?

Regards, Graham

directly into a portable tv (which works ok on its indoor aerial) not into any digi box . Do they only work with a digi box then, not as ordinary aerial too as i haven't yet got my digi box but will be getting one soon.

Sponsored Links
Double check connections/cable.

Try re-tuning - It may be tuned to a different transmitter on different channels.

Are you in a strong signal area or fringe area??? (must be pretty good if getting a picture on a portable aerial)

Good luck

csh said:
directly into a portable tv (which works ok on its indoor aerial) not into any digi box . Do they only work with a digi box then, not as ordinary aerial too as i haven't yet got my digi box but will be getting one soon.
That's the problem then, yes you need a decoder box or integrated decoder to make sense of all the 1's and 0's piped down the line from the aerial.

kendor said:
csh said:
That's the problem then, yes you need a decoder box or integrated decoder to make sense of all the 1's and 0's piped down the line from the aerial.

Hmm, what exactly is a "digital" aerial, how does it differ from an analogue one? Should work I'd have thought :?:

Eddie M said:
Hmm, what exactly is a "digital" aerial, how does it differ from an analogue one? Should work I'd have thought :?:

Analogue TV transmition frequencies are split into three bands to prevent interference from neighbouring transmitors. A digital aerial will alow you to pick up channels on all 3 bands which is why they are often referred to as "wide band aerials".

The fact that you are unable to pickup any signals on the digital aerial despite being able to watch TV on the indoor aerial suggests a fault with the aerial installation or the aerial itself.
2 commons problems with aerial installations which you should check 1st are the plug at the TV the end of the cable can often have a stray wire shorting out the signal, or the cable atthe aerial end may be wired the wrong way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back