TV AERIEL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just put 1 up to o with small lcd in bedroom this works but tv keeps breking up nfreezing for a couple of secs at a time does anyone nothe prob or what it may be thanks

Sponsored Links
Does your signal meter (if your TV has the feature) show the signal at max, then dropping when the picture freezes?

Assuming this is an outdoor aerial, how did you align it?

a) got the correct orientation and direction angle from Wolfbane, then used an aerial riggers compass and signal meter

b) looked at neighbours aerials and pointed it vaguely in the same direction

Have a look at this link http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freeviewadvice.html and let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
We have same problem. We know the cure. I need to go on roof and turn the aerial from horizontal to vertical and re-aline to new freeview transmitter but I am too fat and can't squeeze through window to get on roof to do the work.

Also we have a huge problem that weather conditions mean the three transmitters within easy range keep swapping as to which is strongest and the TV is forever requesting to be re-tuned as a result.

So I have given up with freeview. However there seems to be a huge difference between TV's and set top boxes our Panasonic will receive where computer TV card and Tomson boxes all fail.

The same with satellite boxes our cheap free to air will work when the Sky boxes fail (Again know problem cable too long).

Each channel on my TV shows it's own signal strength and quality and Yesterday on Channel 55 (Program number 12) flickers between 5 and 7 on both sliders and on a good day like today is viewable but often it does fail.

Likely Channel 55 (This is the frequency received at not the number pressed to view it) is having interference from one of the analogue devices although oddly if I switch off the analogue box set to channel 21 I lose the signal on channel 55 which at least does show the analogue signal do effect the digital MUX signals.

So step one must be switch off all Sky boxes (Un-plug) and other items like VCR's and try to re-tune and re-test TV. If it then works you need to look at channel used by other boxes.

You can also try a cheap booster. You must have nearly a good enough signal so any small improvement will help.

As "ChrisFrost" says right way is to adjust aerial for best signal but if you are anything like me paying a £10'er for a booster is better than climbing a ladder.

I can sympathise with the idea of using a booster. It seems like a simple solution and it's easy. For some problems it might even help. Sometimes though it's better to tackle the cause of the problem rather than trying to relieve the symptoms.

Digital TV needs a decent signal level. If the aerial is poor, or pointing in the wrong direction, or not high enough, or the cable is rubbish then what you'll have comming down the wire will be crap. So, sticking a booster on that will just give you more crap.

The TV picture on a Freeview set can freeze because of...

a) signal overload - that's too much signal - so a booster is a really bad idea

b) not enough signal - so a better aerial is the right solution

b) impulse noise - a fancy way of saying interference. This could be from other transmitters interupting the signal, or mains noise in the house, or interference being picked up because of poor quality (cheap/old) aerial cable

Also we have a huge problem that weather conditions mean the three transmitters within easy range keep swapping as to which is strongest and the TV is forever requesting to be re-tuned as a result.

which ones do you have to choose from? didn't some of flintshire get a new tx on a mast in england not long ago, i'm assuming you can't see m-y-p due to hills?

which ones do you have to choose from? didn't some of flintshire get a new tx on a mast in england not long ago, i'm assuming you can't see m-y-p due to hills?
I can work Miss Piggy with a hand held from the house and GB3PM is visible from up-stairs windows however from old analogue days aerials point to Winter hill and as you say there is a new transmitter on the Wirral which is vertical that transmits both English and Welsh so is best option. In the days when I had a rotator I could also pick up Central.
However I use sky mainly and the one program I don't have on Sky is Yesterday and the multi-plex with that on is due to increase power next year so not worth doing anything at moment.
I am fully aware of problem and cure which is to slim so I can get through window and change aerial to vertical and re-correct rotator and put up new HB9CV at same time for radio.

However thank you for trying to help me. I was though only relating my problem to illustrate a point.

I also agree no substitute for a good aerial and that is always best option however also aware that many freeview receivers are lacking on their front end and a preamp will help in these cases.

The case of rubbish in give rubbish out is of course true and one can't amplify what is not there. However I like many others used a pre-amp which was part of my microwave modules linear amplifier with old FT290R radio and know full well how the pre-amp can bring in weak stations where ones radio did not have a mutec front end. I preferred to be able to switch the pre-amp.

I would assume the TV in bed room will use same aerial as other TV's in the house and other TV's work OK. If that is the case then a preamp (Or aerial booster) would likely cure the problem without the need to climb ladders and play with aerial.

However re-reading post I realise they could be using internal aerial. 80% on my main TV would work without problems but my PC TV card is very poor and needs a really good signal and acts just like he describes. I only fitted TV card to connect camcorder so not really bothered but I know a booster will cure problem.

Boosters can die. I have lost one I would guess due to electrical storm and likely it saved my TV's and after working well for many years in the loft I did not think about it when first trying to improve TV signal. I like many others I am sure blamed the change over to freeview. Which did cause some faults where freeview channels used same frequency as Sky box transmitted on. I blame channel 5 as until they started there was a channel reserved for VCR's.

However in this case they do not complain about one but all programs so would think all down to signal strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back