TV licence

you need a lic to record as well
pullhair.gif

Sponsored Links
You could get yourself a lodger who is over 75. Free licence for them. :D

Thought I would just add to this thread.

Does owning a laptop and having a broadband constitute needing a tv licence.
Surely there would need to be proof that you had watched 'TV' . Where just owning a TV set is seen to be sufficient to warrant a TV licence that had a reasonable logic to it as you couldn't do anything else with it.
However by broadband provider is rubbish and I never watch streamed TV as the delivery comes in glitchy chunks followed by incessant views of the loading spiral in action making the programmes unwatchable.

As it stands at the moment no,so long as you don't watch live streaming on your pc you don't need a licence, how its proved one way or the other who can tell.No doubt in the none too distant future all households will pay a tax of some sort to cover this.

Sponsored Links
Thought I would just add to this thread.

That was the original question in the first post.

The catchup thing looks good, I'll check it out later.

http://www.seesaw.com is another one, loads of old shows to watch for free although some of it is p.p.view content.

heres a thought ,what if you only paid a tv licence for new programmes only ,i mean everything on bbc is a repeat ,so therfore iv already paid for it before in the past ? so on this basis the licence should be about 7,50 per year !!

aha.. so if i watch it on cable I don't need a license since it's delayed by a second or so?

or if I have sky+ i can pause it for 10 seconds before I turn the telly on and watch it 10 seconds behind?

I was thinking more along the lines of watching it after it had finished, maybe by recording it on your digi-box.

But surely that's recording it as it's being shown?

"If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using"

If you only watch certain 'live' programmes, such as controversial people being interviewed, then you may get away with it as some of these programmes are delayed by as much as 7 seconds after they are broadcast. (Don't ask me how they do it but its supposed to be so they can censor any foul language or distressing sights).
Working on that premise you are not actually watching it 'live' are you? ;)

If you only watch certain 'live' programmes, such as controversial people being interviewed, then you may get away with it as some of these programmes are delayed by as much as 7 seconds after they are broadcast. (Don't ask me how they do it but its supposed to be so they can censor any foul language or distressing sights).
Working on that premise you are not actually watching it 'live' are you? ;)

not live is defined as after the full program has finnished

if you have any equipment capable off reciving live tv you need a licence whether you use it live or not
if you are using the computer it must be after the program has finnished in real time

Would anybody really care if the bbc was srapped tomorrow ,would you pay 146.50 to watch it cos i wudnt !

The BBC sell of their programmes on DVD, so, if you paid to watch them once, why would you pay to watch them again? Surely that's advertising by the BBC that is disallowed?

If people in foreign countries can view BBC programming, then surely that negates the reason that the UK pays a license fee, we pay they don't.

And advertisements on the BBC is outside their charter, they advertise programs coming up, that is negative of the BBC charter, and therefore illegal.

if you have any equipment capable off reciving live tv you need a licence whether you use it live or not

Not true, thousands of organisations have television sets for showing training and corporate videos. Providing they use them solely for that purpose, no licence is required.

Not true, thousands of organisations have television sets for showing training and corporate videos. Providing they use them solely for that purpose, no licence is required.

is it fitted with a tunner!!!!

its up to you to proove you cant get or never use real telly
remember when you buy anything with a tunner they take your details for the licensing authority

they dont give up easily
my brother didnt have a telly but wanted to watch videos
my father treated him to a tv/video and stupidly done the honest thing and gave his address

they wrote and asked him to buy a licence he told them he never watches telly
after several letters to and fro they came and checked
my brother being the logical sort said look i have never watched tv you can poove that by seeing if the tv is tuned in
unfortunatly my dad had plugged it in and tunned in to check it was working properly :rolleyes:

in the end he gave it to my dad as he didnt want any more hassle
they came back again to check with my brothers permission they still didnt believe him :rolleyes:

The BBC sell of their programmes on DVD, so, if you paid to watch them once, why would you pay to watch them again? Surely that's advertising by the BBC that is disallowed?

If people in foreign countries can view BBC programming, then surely that negates the reason that the UK pays a license fee, we pay they don't.

And advertisements on the BBC is outside their charter, they advertise programs coming up, that is negative of the BBC charter, and therefore illegal.

you can get the bbc here on cable :D

Sponsored Links
Back