TV licence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So you can be done for having a TV but no TV licence,

this taken from the BBC news website, where you can watch the BBC news channel 'live'

"Britain's most-watched news channel, delivering breaking news and analysis all day, every day.
The BBC News channel is available in the UK only. Don't forget, to watch TV online as it's being broadcast, you still need a TV Licence"

So can you be prosecuted for owning an internet connected computer, but not a TV?

It's all just one big con isn't it? (non-rhetorical)

Sponsored Links
Providing you don't watch anything "real time" then you don't need a licence.

you don't need a license if you only watch foreign feeds on your PC..
surely?

what about overseas travelers who bring their laptops with them? do they sting them at customs on the way out and search their browsing history and make them pay per hour watched?

Sponsored Links
So if I buy a PVR such as a Humax, and watch everything on a +1hour time lapse then I'll save meself nearly £150 a year?

*edit*
apparently not:
From TV Licensing site.

As new technology makes it possible to watch TV on more devices than ever you need to make sure that you remain properly licensed.
If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using

whats a tv licence :confused: :confused:
hmmm, serious question or not????

anyway, just in case..

we have 2 channels over here that supposedly have no adverts on them that are state owned.. and several radio stations the same..

these are paid for by an arcane tax known as the tv license where every receiving set needs a license purchased from the government, irrespective of whether you actually watch or listen to these channels at all..

i was born in england ;)

you get the bbc here but theres no tv licence

not that i ever had one in england either
lol.gif

CJ - kev knows what t TV licence is - he's an ex-miner ex-pat

Sister in law never pays for a license, she goes to court every year and receives a fine of approx 80 quid.

P.S. nice to "see" you kev, hope your still buzzin over there.

just watch on bbc i player or the other channel equivilent and you dont need a licence as its delayed and not live[delayed means after the program has finnished transmitting]

but you will need a licence if you have a tv or device that can watch or record live tv

If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using

A clever lawyer would see that as a 'loop-hole' surely?

aha.. so if i watch it on cable I don't need a license since it's delayed by a second or so?

or if I have sky+ i can pause it for 10 seconds before I turn the telly on and watch it 10 seconds behind?

aha.. so if i watch it on cable I don't need a license since it's delayed by a second or so?

or if I have sky+ i can pause it for 10 seconds before I turn the telly on and watch it 10 seconds behind?

I was thinking more along the lines of watching it after it had finished, maybe by recording it on your digi-box.

Sponsored Links
Back